If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, July 17, 2009

The Crock Pot Bet

I have been meaning to post about this for a while since the culmination of the whole Crock Pot event happened over the Fourth of July weekend, but I hope you still enjoy this regardless of it's lateness.

First, some background information on this story. When David and I were registering for wedding gifts I convinced him NOT to register for a crock pot because my vast experience concerning wedding gifts said that you will get at least 5 crock pots no matter whether you ask for one or not! ("Experience" meaning listening to stories from my previously married friends.) Davids argument was that if we register for a crock pot, then at least we would get the one that we wanted! We decided not to put a Crock Pot on the registry but rather to place a bet on whether or not we would actually receive a Crock Pot. I was very confident in my stance and knew that I would win (which is a big deal, David wins 95.8% of all bets we make).

It seemed that there was nothing left to do but wait! I could just sit back, relax and wait to collect my prize. But then... the gifts started coming, and none of them were in the shape of a crock pot. Not one of my bridal showers resulted in the desired crock pot (although I was so blessed to receive so much support from so many people). After we got back from our Honeymoon, we opened all of the wonderful gifts that we received but to no avail. There was not a crock pot to be found. My confidence was starting to wane, but I wasn't ready to give up hope! We still hadn't opened the presents at my parents house! I think that you can see a pattern here. Long story short... as much as I tried to will each oddly shaped package into being a crock pot, it never worked. David was full of "I told you so's" and ready to step up and declare himself as winner. BUT... Gifts were still trickling in and I was not ready to admit defeat!


Then came the day, that this precious little thing showed up at Davids house! David and I were in West Jordan for the Fourth of July weekend, when someone stopped by, apologized for not being able to make it to the reception and dropped it off. Davids sister, Amy, was the lucky person who answered the door. David was shopping with his Dad and I was downstairs reading my book.
Later that evening, when David got home Amy told us that someone had dropped a gift by, but she didn't recognize them. The problem was... They forgot to sign their name on the card!

The card came and all it said was "David and Shantel, Congratulations on your Wedding." Immediately accusations began to fly! David and his brothers were convinced that I was behind the Mysterious Crock Pot! The story that they came up with involved me buying the crock pot previously, convincing one of my friends to drive all the way to Davids house and having them drop off the present. It was so funny. The silly boys. I promised that I did not buy the crock pot and that I didn't tell anyone to buy the crock pot! I shortly thereafter announced my victory. David wasn't going to give in so easy though. He said that I didn't win because regardless of whether or not we had actually received the Crock Pot, I had cheated by posting a plea for it on Facebook. (I was teasing David and I posted my facebook status to say something about desperately needing a crock pot!) I finally got him to admit that it was a tie.

Later that night as we were getting ready for bed I admitted that I had a small part in the mysterious crock pot. Amy and I had been talking earlier and she VOLUNTEERED to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy a crock pot. She had the girl at the store write the note so no one would recongnize the handwriting. It was a genius plan and was such a good time!

Conclusion of this fabulous story? We now have a crock pot! It is way cool and we love it! (Thank you Amy for picking out a crock pot that is so perfect!) Also, I didn't lose the bet because we DID get a crock pot! David and I agreed to tie. YES! This means that David's percent of winning our bets has decreased... at least to 91.3%. I feel very successful about the whole thing.

2 comments:

Abby said...

hahaha what a great story! Congrats on getting a Crock Pot =P Logan and I still don't have one....maybe someone will volunteer to get us one too!

Ashley said...

Hahahaha! This is one of the best stories ever.