I my last post I said that I was going to come back and finish writing about my Dad because it was his birthday. I should have known that I wouldn't actually "finish" the post. Instead I am going to write a post dedicated to my sweet father. I mean, come on... he deserves his very own post.
This is my Dad: Scott Colvin Walker.
He is the most amazing man that I know. I couldn't have asked for a better example or a better friend as a father.
Last Tuesday was my Dad's birthday. (I would tell you how old he was, but I don't think that he would like that very much.) David and I were able to drive down to Morgan and celebrate with him. It was so much fun! We made malibu chicken and twice-baked potatoes and let me tell you... it was delicious! (I wish that I had pictures to post on here from that night, but i'm a slacker and forgot the camera. We will just have to deal with all of the pictures that I pulled off of Facebook.)
Like I said, my dad is amazing. There is nothing more important to him than being with his family. I truly think that his greatest source of joy comes from being with his wife and kids.
My Mom and Dad. I remember when I was little and I would walk in on them kissing in the kitchen. (They did that often.) I would pretend to be grossed out, but really I loved it. I love that they love each other so much. My Mom would always tell me how lucky she was to be married to my Dad and how I needed to find someone who made me as happy as he made her.
My dad sometimes seems shy, but he definitely has a goofy side! He is very creative and loves to laugh and have a good time. Everyone loves watching movies with him, because when he laughs you can't help but laugh as well! I love his sense of humor. When we went home for his birthday he couldn't wait to show us his latest project. It was a little house that he had made out of wood that explodes when you open the door. It is so clever! I am trying to convince him to make a bunch of them and sell them at the fair.
My Dad is very talented. He can look at something and figure out how it is made and then just.. make it! (Like the little house, he saw it at a little tourist store and then came home and made one!) Not only can my dad create ANYTHING out of wood or metal, he is also the one that taught me how to sew. This project may show you a little bit of his skills. He took this:
And turned it into this:
Incredible right? Just wait, it gets better. He also took this:
And turned it into this:
Yeah. Not only did he completely refinish the car, inside and out. He used a bunch of old newspapers to create a pattern and then he sewed new vinyl seatcovers. Amazing right?
I don't think that there is anything that he can't do.
Seriously.
I can't even count how many nights my dad stayed up with me working on school projects that were due the next morning. Everything from my mousetrap car to my 3-D calculus project.
My Dad is my hero, and I am so lucky to have him in my life. Last week we were watching some old home videos and we watched part of my 17th birthday party. Apparently, I had asked for world peace for my birthday because the clip went as follows: My Dad got up in front of the camera and told me how much he loved me, and how he would do anything for me. He said that he couldn't manage world peace, but he could manage a piece of the world. He then proceeded to open a big white box and pull out a big round cake that looked like the earth. He then told me that I meant the world to him. At that point in the video I was crying and so was he. At that point in watching the video I was crying and turned to see him with tears in his eyes as well. I can't believe how lucky I was to be placed on this earth with him as my father.
I love my Dad and I am so grateful for him. For any of you who have had the chance to know him, I am sure you can agree that he has had a positive impact on your life. So much of who I am today comes from who my father taught me to be. He taught me the importance of love, of hard work, and of the gospel. I will be forever grateful for his example and influence in my life.
I love you Dad!












4 comments:
What a neat dad you have! I vaguely knew him from Ephraim and from him taking me home from babysitting you guys (weird to think of that eh? Remember the time you took your little baby brother into the bathroom and locked yourself in? My mom sure was speechless when I called her on the phone begging for ideas to get you guys out! I always wondered why you hated me to babysit so much. I think after awhile though we finally got along lol)
Shantel, I remember your dad tearing up on your wedding day, when we took those picutres of you two and it was the sweetest thing. You're lucky to have each other, and it's obvious how much you love each other! Sweet post!
You're dad is awesome! I've not had a lot of time with him the times I've seen him, but I can tell so easily every time how amazing he is! I love to be around him!
What a wonderful dad! I love the pictures of you and him from your wedding day. So beautiful.
Post a Comment