Sometimes I feel a little guilty about how many new things we bought when moving into our new house. So I have a few pieces of information to preface this post with:
-David and I spent $15 dollars on a TV stand from DI when we got married. That is all. Every other piece of furniture we either already had or was given to us for free. Our couches, bed, and stools - all gifts. The couches were headed to the DI when David's High Councilor over his ward (Brother Krogue) in the Bishopric heard that we didn't have couches and he dropped them off at our apartment. Our bed was my parents old mattress. The stools were wedding presents. We later picked up a coffee table that someone was giving away for free.
-Also given to us as gifts: Our TV (we used a small 12" one that my parents had in their basement for the first 6 months until David graduated and asked for a TV), our Wii (my graduation present), our lamp, and our dresser for our bedroom.
-We didn't have a table for the first 6 months (at least, probably more like 8-10 months) that we were married... until someone in my parents ward heard about it and gave us an extra one they had. For free. (Honestly, when we went to pick it up - we were shocked at how beautiful it was. I love the ivory, the windsor chairs, and the gentle curves along the edge of the tabletop.)
-We have been married for almost 4 years and have never owned a washer and dryer. I think that I went to a laundromat 3, maybe 4, times. The rest of the time we have depended on our parents to let us come home and do our laundry at their houses. (Yes, our baby is 9 months old. It is possible to have a baby and no washer and dryer.)
The point of this preface is to remind you that David and I have spent practically NO money on furnishing our home. A couple of walmart bookcases, a $2.50 end table, some flowers from the dollar store. We have saved, and saved, and saved. We are both pretty frugal by nature - and the fact that we were using a couch whose stuffing was falling out the back and whose buttons were hanging by threads, or that our entertainment center was cheapo plywood and kind of a funny shape, didn't bother us at all. We were just happy and loved our little home.
However, as we were preparing to move into our home we looked at the amount of money that we had saved up and we decided that we wanted to buy a few new things for our new house. Obviously - a washer and dryer were at the top of the list. Also, a refrigerator was a must as the house didn't come with one. We'd been promising ourselves for years that our first big purchase was going to be a new bed, because our old one was just... well... old. And anyone who has ever slept in a really old bed, knows that really old = really bad. (Not that we weren't SO grateful to my parents who gave it to us, because we are SO grateful. We would have been sleeping on the floor if it wasn't for them.) Thankfully, we had saved up enough money that after carefully budgeting it all out - we still had enough to buy some new couches for our family room and maybe a sofa for our living room.
We spend hours and hours and days and days shopping around at pretty much every furniture place in the Salt Lake Valley/Utah County. We started in September and got some good things over Labor day. We continued to shop over Thanksgiving and all during Christmas at all sorts of different stores. However, when all was said and done - we ended up buying everything at RC Willey. They were so good to work with us! They put the items on hold at the sale price, but were fine to hold on to them for 6 months or 3 months or however long it was until we were going to get into our house. And then, they would deliver them all together instead of paying for delivery at 7 different places. We were really pleased with their service and spent a lot of time there picking out our washer, dryer, and refrigerator. Due to a killer sale on their room groups - we actually were able to get a whole set for both the family room and the living room. We got an awesome bed that came with a Kindle Fire HD, which picked up a few weeks later and then immediately sold for $175 on KSL. (We saw it as another $175 discount on the bed, although it was a little sad to see it go.) I even convinced David to get up with me on Black Friday to buy a chaise lounge as a doorbuster! Moral of the story - we loved RC Willey, got some great deals, and couldn't wait for it to all get delivered!
As I mentioned in my previous post. Most everyone who helped us move left pretty soon after we started moving. But David's parents, his sister Amy, and my sister Melissa stuck around until RC Willey got there because they wanted to see all of our furniture. We waited, and waited, and waited - and then finally they arrived!
Melissa gave me grief about taking this picture. Something about my compulsion to document every moment in my life. Harumph. I was just really excited, okay? When I opened the door the guy said "Hello, we're here to deliver.... shuffled all of his tickets around... uh... a whole house of stuff. Does that sound right?" Yes, Mr. RC Willey man, yes it does.
Soon after I took this picture, I set down my camera and followed the RC Willey guys around like a little puppy. I helped put the couch cushions on - because even though they were planning to do it, I couldn't make myself wait for them - I had to do it right then. Our couches, tables, and bed went in pretty easily. (The one guy brought the whole box springs in by himself. He just stretched out his arms, grabbed it on either side, then brought it into the house and up the stairs. I should have taken a picture. It was impressive!) The washer and dryer went up the stairs and were installed in a matter of 15 minutes or so. The refrigerator took quite a bit longer to get into place. I guess McArthur didn't plan super well for getting a refrigerator into the kitchen past the massive island. But, alls well that ends well. The fridge is now in place and has since been fully stocked with food. (Yay!)
Okay, enough of my talking - lets get to the good stuff... the "After the RC Willey guys finally finished delivering everything" pictures:
These are my favorite. Its a little hard to tell but they are a gorgeous, almost shiny, grey. The lamps are kind of a silver-plated glass, and the tables are a rich dark wood. The pillows are so pretty, they have dark magenta-ish and varying shades of grey modern-flowers. Love, love, love! You may notice that the couches in the family room look a little similar to these - but, uh, it's just a coincidence.
Okay, you caught me. It's not a coincidence. Haha. When we were at the store we both fell in love with this blue couch and love seat. Like, head over heels. They were perfect. The perfect color, the perfect casualness, the perfect material, and the perfect comfiness. The fact that they were in a super-affordable room group and came with coffee table, side tables, pillows, and lamps made it pretty much irresistible. We decided pretty much then and there that those were the couches for us. Then suddenly I saw a nearby room group that made my heart go pitter-patter. The grey and pink and did I mention the grey? It took us a few minutes to realize that they were actually the same couches, just different styles. Feeling silly, we asked several people's advice and then decided just to put both of them on hold. Our thinking was that if we found something that we liked better, we could always just cancel one of the sets. But that way if we found a more formal set somewhere else we could cancel the grey or if we found a less formal set we liked better we could cancel the blue. We liked to keep both options open. We looked and looked but seriously could not find a single other couch set that we liked even nearly as well. So we just bought them both! (Because we love them. David loves the blue the most, and I adore the grey- but we are both 100 % pleased with the choice to buy both of them because we love them!
Also, note the super awesome brown chaise lounge in the left corner. Seriously the favorite seat in the house. So comfortable. If we are anywhere in the area its pretty much guaranteed that one of us is sitting on it (if not both of us). Oh, and the rug is from Rugs US. We got it for 65% off and it is darling (although it is a tiny bit scratchy. I'm hoping that wears off.)
I have to be honest. The only item that we purchased that I am a little disappointed about is our fridge. We decided to go with the Satina instead of the true stainless steel for fingerprint/magnetic reasons. I think it was probably the right choice (especially when price is factored in) but I can't help but wish that the finish didn't look SO different than our other stainless steel appliances. It's not that big of a deal, and I'm sure that we will get used to it... but I'm slightly bummed about it. Also, it didn't come with a top shelf/butter tray. There is an area there - but no tray to slip in. I'm going to have to call them I guess. Regardless, a fridge! Yay. Our favorite thing about this fridge is that in the freezer the ice is completely in the door - so it opens up a ton of space in the freezer. (And little yuckies can't fall into the area where the ice is dispensed.)
Apparently I forgot to take a picture of the bed before we put a sheet on it. I really should go and take it off and post a picture of the pretty pattern on the pillowtop. But the mattress is much deeper than our last one and getting the sheet on was really hard. Let me just say that we love this bed! It's firm and soft at the same time and thinking about it makes me want to go curl up and take a nap on it.
And last, but definitely not least. Our washer and dryer. Hallelujah! Shout out to Cal and Sue for letting us use their washer and dryer for our 4 years of marriage. (And to my parents as well.) But honestly, the thing that I am singlemost excited about in this house is to have my very. own. laundry. room. I am fighting the urge to stand up and dance about it even now. *couldn't resist - did a little dance - now I'm back* I have big plans for this little room, and I can't wait to get started. Actually, we started last weekend. My dad is helping me make/making me a wooden laundry pedestal where I can put baskets in the underneath. Oh, I have so many plans for this room! After a ridiculously exciting trip to the store to get laundry supplies I've even done my first two loads. And I'm not joking about it being exciting. I was like a kid in a candy store. "Oh, I want that detergent... ooh ooh and this fabric softener... oh and definitely some of this special whitening bleach." I refrained from buying all of the available laundry products.. but just barely. Too exciting.
And what does Lydia think of all our new belongings?
I think she loves them! Almost as much as her mama does.
(Yes, I just posted a picture of my reflection in my brand new washer, ka-chow!)
We are thrilled about all of our new furniture. It seems so strange to have things so new - but at the same time, these items are perfect for us. We are just loving our house and everything in it. Lydia has done great adjusting and has even slept a couple of good nine hour stretches over the past couple of nights. (Now I need to work on getting to bed earlier so that I can still have more than a 5 hour stretch.)
Thank you RC Willey!
(Contact us, and we may even be willing to do a commercial for you. "Hi, we're the Peadens and everything we've ever purchased for our home has come from RC Willey." Haha, only kidding... sort of.)
8 comments:
New house, brand new stuff- what could be better?! Everything looks great, so fun!
New house smell. Enhanced by new furniture smell. It is beautiful.
SO FUN! I can't wait to have my own washer and dryer some day!
How beautiful and sooo exciting! I'm sure it feels nice to have a new home with new things in it. Lydia sure is a sweetie. Glad she is giving you more sleep.
~Eve
We have the exact same washer and dryer set! And we also got them from RC Willey, but the outlet store, so they were half price. Yay! AND, we've been working on our laundry room, painting the walls green, putting in black/white checkered tile flooring, and we have plans to build pedestals basically just like yours! Great minds think alike :)
So excited for you! And so jealous ;)
You should not feel guilty for having nice, new things in your new house. You worked hard and saved so you could have them, and you deserve them!
Also, I cannot believe you got your kitchen table for free!!! It's beautiful!
And, I'm still super in love with the pillows in the living room. Like, so in love I kind of want to take a picture of them to hang in my house or something. ;)
And I thought the couches looked really similar when I was over there, but I didn't look at the ones in the living room quite closely enough to be sure, ha ha ha!
Lastly, the pictures of Lydia enjoying and admiring the new furniture are adorable and make me happy. :)
I am so glad i can read your blog now!! I like how you write (type?) and i can see you doing a cute dance in your laundry room!!! That id SO AWESOME that you had such a good experience with RC Willeys :)
Post a Comment