Dear Lydia,
You are two years and two weeks old and you bring so much happiness to my little life. I love this age that you are at. I love when you take my hand and say "Mommy - play" when you want me to come play with you.
Today we went to the Museum of Natural Curiosity at Thanksgiving Point. (I love the way you say museum "moosm".) We hadn't explored the climbing area of the Rainforst yet, and I knew that you were going to love it. As soon as you realized that I was leading you to so many stairs you took off running and were so happy. There were a million kids there and I didn't want to lose you so I followed you through the entire thing. You'd look back to make sure I was coming, and hold my hand when you weren't sure how to get through a certain obstacle. We went up the stairs and down the slides again and again - and then you found the net pathways that lead around the ceiling area. You were easily the smallest one, but you absolutely loved climbing through the ropebridge/net pathways. You'd stand on the ledge and hold my hand before stepping off into the net and then when we climbed to the top I'd have to push your bottom up so that you could get up to the top. It was a little bit of hard work, but secretly I was loving every second! I loved that you were loving it so much, I loved being there with you, and I loved having the excuse to climb around in the nets as well. By the third time of climbing up all the net pathways - you didn't need me to hold your hand to get into the net and you didn't need me to push you up to the top. You'd figured out how to climb and pull yourself up. I was so impressed with you and would have gone around the nets a hundred more times if you'd wanted to. However, you'd been looking forward to playing in the water area at Noah's Ark (I even dressed you in a swimming suit under your clothes because you'd been talking about it all day "water 'gain?") so we headed out there. The water was turned off! I was so sad, but you just brushed it off and played in the dry pool bed and giggled everytime the waterfountain close by came on.
I decided to walk through the garden because I thought I remembered a little stream you could play in. As we were walking, you by my side, out of no where you giggled and said "Happy!" My heart almost burst. I asked "Are you happy, Lydia?" and you responded "Yesss."
I could have cried. It was the sweetest, most wonderful thing to hear your little voice identifying the happiness that you were feeling.
I thought about it for the rest of the time at the museum. I thought about it while I was feeding you dinner and while I was getting you ready for bed. I thought about it when I sang you your goodnight song and left you "reading" your books in your crib. And this is what I have to say.
You make me happy.
I hope that I never neglect to tell you how happy you make me. I hope that I never get too busy to climb around with you on the nets, and never get so caught up in my own life that I forget to experience the joy of your life. Your happiness makes me happy.
This was such a sweet and special little moment today, and I knew that I would regret not taking the time to write it down. I love you sweet girl. Thank you for smiling so big and for loving life so much.
Love,
Your very happy Mommy.
2 comments:
This is so sweet!
You are such a wonderful mother. I'm grateful for your example.
Post a Comment