If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

Today marks my third year as a mother.
I've now been a mother longer than I was a high school student at Manti High, longer than I was a single college student, and longer than I was married with no kids. All of these time periods in my life have been incredibly formative and thinking about the fact that I've been a mom for longer than any of them seems crazy. Time passes so differently during each life stage; it seems like just yesterday that I was celebrating my first Mother's Day as a mom - holding my tiny baby Lydia in my arms.

I have many people that I love whose deepest desire of their hearts is to be a mother, but for whatever reason - their circumstances haven't allowed them to fulfill that wish. To those dear friends today I say, I love you. I know that there is pain in your heart and I wish I could wrap my arms around you and fill you with hope and love. On this day, know that I also celebrate you for your loving hearts and the special roles you play in the lives around you.

Being a mom is a special opportunity to influence the world. I feel this incredible obligation to instill moral values, teach educational concepts and hard work, and place the seeds of love and courage and confidence so deeply in their little souls that they will always know who they are and what they are capable of. I want my children to look back at their lives and remember the times we laughed together, the times we adventured together, the times we loved together. I want them to never doubt that they are and always have been loved, wanted, and so so important. I want them to know that I love being their mother and no matter what - that title and opportunity will be my greatest joy and accomplishment.

These two (and all the ones who follow them) are so special to me.


I'm so grateful for the influence of my own mother in my life and so grateful for the opportunity to be the one that these littles call "Mommy." I'm certainly not perfect - but I want to be the best mom I can possibly be.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautifully expressed. Motherhood really is such an important, lasting role. Based on reading about your adventures and your efforts, I think you are doing great! Happy Mother's Day to you! Also thanks for the blog comment last night - hopefully it will motivate me to get caught up :)

Ashley said...

This is so beautiful.

Ali said...

Shantel this was amazing, and so very inspiring. Every Mother's Day I want to write a post on my feelings as a mom but haven't ever done it because I can't ever put it into words. You just did and you put it so beautifully. You are incredible!

Kellie and Nick Fawcett said...

This post was beautiful. I hope you had a great Mother's Day.

Jenna Haderlie said...

Happy Mothers Day!!!