If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Caleb Samuel: 3-4 Months

We've now had this handsome little boy in our lives for four whole months, and it has been just so good. I remember feeling like the first four months were just a fuzzy blur, but this time around I feel like we hit our stride a while ago and we're just happily plugging along, doing our thing. And it's all because of how good this baby is. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: he's a dream. We are SOOO lucky to have him in our family. 

Stats: 
Weight- 14 lbs 9 oz (28%)
Length- 26.25 in (89%)
Head Circ- 42.7 cm (79%)

Size 6 mo clothes. Size 2 diapers. No teeth (or hair!) He just feels long to me. He dropped in weight percentiles this month- but he still seems like he's just real big, but it's more tall than anything else. 


-Started (occasionally) putting him down for the first night stretch in his crib. Secretly, I just kind of love having him in the pack and play (with bassinet attachment) right by my bed at night - but it is nice that he can sleep in either place. 


-He is SO quiet in the car. I mean, sometimes he gets grumpy and cries (especially when we're stopped at a red light and the car isn't moving anymore), but I can't even count the number of times that I've had a full blown panic, "Oh no! Is he back there? Did we leave him????" It seems silly, because of course we wouldn't leave him - but he's just so quiet that I have to look back and make sure I can see his toes before I can calm my heart down. (Lydia is so sweet and has started saying similar things if she can't see him, "Oh no! Where is Caleb!") 



-Sleep at 8:30, nurse at 4:30, pull into bed about 6/6:30. This is amazing. No real nap schedule, though. I just put him down when he seems tired, or he sleeps in the carseat while we are on the go.


-Rolled from his front to his back! First child to ever do this. Now he can't do tummy time anymore because every time I put him down on his tummy his big head gets too heavy and flips him right over.  He has also rolled from his back to his front, but not as frequently - it seems more like a mistake when he does it. He's still pretty happy on the floor, especially now that he has started liking the play mat where he can grab at the jungle toys hanging down by him.


-Finding his voice. Doesn't coo as often anymore - but "ahhhh"

-As I said before, he's pretty good about napping on the go. We've been keeping busy with all our fun summer things, like splash pads and pools, and even the occasional hike. He's seriously a trooper.


-Grabs my face and plays with my nose and mouth. I love it.

-Legs have been too long to stay on my lap for a while, but they now they dangle even more when I'm holding/feeding him.
-Sucks his fingers. Sometimes he'll grab his pacifier and try to pull it out of his mouth so that he can get his fingers in - most of the time this makes him go cross-eyed but he's usually successful.



-He's pretty good about being in the Beco carrier. I think he still probably prefers the Solly wrap, but it's a little harder to put on and get situated so I usually use the Beco if I just need to carry him for a little while, or we will be in and out of the carrier. He gets grumpy if he's in it longer than an hour - but he's usually pretty happy otherwise. I love carrying him and holding him so close to me. 

-He's started being more alert earlier. For a long time he'd wake up at about 6:30, but I'd nurse him in bed for about an hour and then with any luck he'd fall back asleep at some point in there and we could rest until the other kids woke up. But lately, he's just wanted to eat and then get up. I've been trying to take advantage of this time and read my scriptures before the other kids get up. Caleb has been a champ scripture reading partner. I pull out my stuff on the floor and set him up by me and he's pretty content to just hang out. As soon as the kids wake up, they come in and love on him and he's all smiles for them. They keep each other busy while I finish reading my scriptures and we head back down for breakfast. It's sweet to see the giant smiles on their faces when they see him in the morning. "Caaaa-lebbbbbb. We loooooooove youuuuuu." 



--We went to his first (and second) parade! Friday night (Lehi mini-float parade) he spent the first little bit in his carseat, then David held him when the louder floats went by. Saturday (Lehi Grand Parade), he let me sit and cuddle him under an umbrella and I loved it. 

-Hates having his clothes changed.
-Likes the water during bathtime.

-Went swimming for the first time! Previously this summer I've just brought him and kept him in his carseat by the edge of the pool, but David had the day off and we went to the Legacy Center together as a family. Caleb was pretty stonefaced the entire time, but he didn't cry at all. For liking the water at bathtime, he was pretty unimpressed with swimming. 

This little boy is just such a special spirit in our home. He's mellow, and happy, and makes my mama heart swell with love for him. The kids love him, David loves him, and I'm already feeling like I want to freeze time and soak in every second of him right now because he's growing so big so fast. With Lydia I felt like every stage she was "so big" because I'd never been there before. With Austin I felt like he was always "so little" because I was comparing him to Lydia. But with Caleb I feel like I have the perfect balance of feeling like he's getting so big and growing so much, while still being able to enjoy how little he is in this very moment. 

We love you Caleb-darling. 

No comments: