If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, August 22, 2022

Rainbow Day

The second annual Rainbow Day is in the books! The kids have been looking forward to this Rainbow Day celebration since the day after our first annual Rainbow Day. I can't even count the number of times this year that the kids called each other (yay Ooma phone) to discuss the menu for the day. It was a lot. I was constantly finding papers with food ideas separated by color. 


We celebrated at the Haderlies house and that worked out great, due to the proximity to Molly's Birthday. We came up for her birthday celebration on Sunday and stayed to celebrate Rainbow day the following day. (There was some debate on what DAY rainbow day should be on every year, but hopefully, we have settled on that it's just around the first week of school.) We had cinnamon rolls for breakfast, rainbow spaghetti for lunch, and then our 6-course, child-made meal, for dinner. 



I gave the kids a $50 budget and let them do all of the food-ordering. I loved the Walmart grocery app because they were able to see how much money they were spending and cut things out before checking out. They came within a dollar of the $50 total and I was really proud of them. 




Each child was assigned a course (not by me - they figured it out themselves) and they were responsible for preparing and serving that course. Here are the courses: 

Red, Orange

Yellow, Green

Blue, Purple

It was a very successful Rainbow Day, indeed. The kids were so proud of themselves and they had a wonderful time - which is really the only thing that matters. They are already excited for next year, and I hope this is a tradition that we can continue. I can just imagine what it will look like as they get older. I love them and their creativity. 




No comments: