If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

February Homeschool

I didn't take a ton of pictures this month, and in truth, we had a little slower homeschool month. We still did our coursework regularly and we still had some fun field trips - so it was definitely a success. We almost always host our Science Fair in February and had it scheduled for the third week in February. I usually love this because it's so fun to have a project to work on in the cold February weeks where there isn't as much going on. However, I got behind on the planning work because of Sue's passing in January. After realizing that the thought of going through with the science fair in February made me so anxious I could cry (and I did), I decided to postpone it. The science fair is important to me, so I hope we will be able to make it happen later this spring, maybe April. Once that was removed from my plate, the rest of our homeschool month went really well. 

Lydia created the most amazing "Craft Kit" this month. She worked hard on it for days and days. It's a kit made completely from cardboard and craft supplies that she can carry around for a portable crafting station. It has drawers for specific items, hooks, and all sorts of detailed touches that make it an incredible work of engineering and art. 

Coops/Groups
Library with mini-coop. 


Taking Valentine's cards to the local Elderly Care Center with Girls Club. 


I teach a music class to the preschool at SPARK right now and I love being in there with Lucy. Our favorite songs are: Matilda the Gorilla, I'm a little Teapot, and Slippery Fish.

Ski-Bus finished this month. This group of kids rode a charter bus up the mountain each Friday so they could gain/improve their skiing skills. They had a great time. We decided to host a party on the last Friday and we picked them ALL up from ski bus, came home for pizza, and a movie night. I think that every person should have the chance to watch Cool Runnings for the first time with such a great group of kids. It was hilarious and we had a great time. 


Field Trips
Lehi Bakery (Donut Factory) 
One of the hardest parts of hosting a Homeschool Field Trip group is that you never know how many people are going to attend from week to week. It makes it difficult to gauge what kind of group to plan on, and because the group has grown so big this year (yay!) it makes it harder to plan field trips that are better suited to a certain number of people. So instead of opening this field trip up to the whole group, I hand-invited a couple of families to join us. This tour was MAGICAL! We loved it so much. The owner "Baker Dave" walked us through every part of their newly updated bakery and shared a lot of what it means to own a bakery. We loved it and especially enjoyed eating the donuts at the end.  



Children's Museum with the Haderlies 
We are so lucky to have this gem of a children's museum so close to our house. The kids love climbing in the jungle and exploring the different exhibits that they have there. 

Clark Planetarium in Salt Lake. 
We got to watch a movie in the dome theater and the highlight was when they projected the "night sky" as it is right now in February and she pointed out some constellations and things to look for. It was really cool. 





















No comments: