If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, August 12, 2024

Homeschool Room Prep

Over the past several years, we've slowly been converting our living room into our homeschooling space. It's been working fine for us, but as we approach our 7th year of homeschooling - I was feeling the need for a homeschool room refresh. We spent a large amount of time in this room and I needed it to be a little more functional. 



Homeschool room in action: 




A lot of our projects start with me having "a big idea" and then escalating from there. This was no different. We decided we needed some shelves - and one trip to Ikea later we were two bookshelves, one table, two chairs, and a whole bunch of other items richer. We also found this darling little chaise sofa which we ended up coming back for a smaller version of. 





But we all know how the story goes. "If you're getting new bookshelves, you should probably paint your walls." 


Unfortunately - I went to the store and purchased "Grecian Ivory" paint - which is what our paint color was named. I started painting and even though it was clearly the wrong color, I kept painting and painting in hopes that "when it dried" it would be the right color. Ha. No. The next time I went, I brought a paint chip off of our wall and had them color match it. Another thick coat of paint later and the walls looked as good as new! 


The New Shelves hold so much of our stuff, I don' know how we managed without them. 


The whole room got a refresh. We moved the piano out into the family room, added a second homeschool table, and included a little couch to snuggle and read on. This room is making me so happy. It feels good to embrace this as our homeschool room, and after 7 years - it's about time! 



The other thing that I'm VERY excited about for our homeschool this year is this new Skylight Calendar. It's a digital calendar that will automatically convert our google calendar into a family calender that the kids can look at and reference. It also has an area to track "chores" that we are going to use for tracking their homeschool responsibilities. I love that I can create a customized schedule because each of our days is a little different, but it will still help them to have responsibility to accomplish all the things they need to do.

 We've only had it a couple of weeks but already I LOVE it! I don't think we will ever be able to go back to not having a digital countertop calendar. When we saw it at Sams Club, I knew it was exactly what we needed and even though it was kind of pricy, it's already been worth every penny. 


Now, speaking of house projects - the homeschool room is (almost) done, but now I have my eye on my front porch. I really want to paint my door black. Unfortunately if we paint the door, we will need to paint the shutters and there is one shutter that I just cant reach. I sent this picture to David asking him if he thought I should pull over and ask this guy driving a cherry picker to come to my house to help me take down the shutters from our highest window. I'm still trying to figure that out, but it's on my list! 

No comments: