If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Whats for Dinner?

Lately, David and I have been trying to be really good about planning out our meals in advance. It started several months ago when we had eaten pasta with ranch three nights in a row (or something like that). We realized that if we don't have a plan for what we are going to eat... then we end up eating junk. Thus, our ten day forecast was born. 

For some reason ten days is much more effective than just a seven day menu. AND we like to call it a forecast, because it's like we are predicting the weather. "This is what we think is going to happen, but really we're flexible."

We eat WAY more healthy if we can plan out our menu. We usually do it on Sunday or Monday, but having the extra three days means that if we can't get to it until Wednesday... we won't starve. (Not to knock pasta and ranch dressing, because I really do enjoy it, but there isn't a whole lot of nutritional value to be found.) 

When we sat down this Sunday to plan our menu we decided to just plan out the next three weeks. We knew where we were going to be for several of the days (like over Thanksgiving) so we didn't really plan out those days... but for all of the days that we knew we would be here, we planned out something delicious. It's freaking me out a little bit, because we now have meals planned up until the week before we move! (And we figure that during "moving week" we will just eat pizza anyway... nutrition shmutrition.)  

Last night David and I ate my favorite "Chicken Enchiladas"
(This is not my picture. I stole it from Google Images - but I can't remember where. Sorry!)

2-3 chicken breasts
3 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 small can green chilis
1 pkg. flour tortillas
1 medium tub sour cream
Lots and lots of cheese
Boil chicken in a large pot. While boiling, chop onion and shred cheese. In a large bowl, combine Cream of Chicken soup and the sour cream. Mix well and remove enough of the mixture to cover the top of the 9'x13" baking pan. Set aside. (You should have a small bowl and a larger bowl set aside with the chicken soup and sour cream).
Once chicken is done, shred into small pieces. Put chicken, onion, green chilies and cheese in with the large bowl mixture. Mix well.
Get your baking pan and tortillas out. Put about 2 large spoonfuls of the large bowl mixture into each tortilla and roll it up and place it in the pan until full.
Cover enchiladas with the mixture from the small bowl. Cover with a thick layer of cheese.
Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixtures are bubbling.


 It was delicious, as always. This recipe has been one of my favorites for, well, ever. In fact, the other day as I was watching some old family home videos I watched my 9th birthday (or some age similar to that.) I was explaining why I had requested Chicken Enchiladas for my birthday dinner and why I loved them so much. Yep, that love has not diminished over time.

Tonight, I will be making Cheesy Potato Soup. It is also a favorite in this house and I think that the weather calls for some yummy, warm, comfort food.

6 comments:

Jeslyn Sorensen said...

We love chicken enchiladas! I have a slightly different version, but it's still amazing. As for the meal forecast...what a great idea! Daniel's work schedule doesn't really allow us to eat a whole lot of meals together,but I might just have to steal the idea :)

Wendy said...

I love the "forecast". That is exactly the way I plan meals. About 10 days out and it is a totally flexible thing that often changes. I know lots of people plan a specific meal for a specific day, but I just can't do it. What if I don't feel like meatloaf when I wake up Thursday? What if suddenly I have 2 sick children when I'm supposed to make lasagna? Flexibility is my friend and I love calling it a meal "forecast."

Anonymous said...

Michael and I discovered, very quickly, in our marriage. (Like 2 months in) That we HAVE to plan our meals out. Otherwise, it's chaos when it comes dinner time and nobody knows what to eat or cook.

Plus, when we plan meals, we plan our weekly shopping trips around what we need to complete the meals each week. Saves us SO much money because we're not buying needless things trying to put a meal together at the last minute. And, I agree with you, ours does usually turn into more of a forecast. But, at least we already have all the ingredients we need to make each meal happen.

We are much happier. If I'm not there to get dinner started, he is, and vice versa. Good stuff!

big MAK said...

This is a very coincidental post; let me tell you why! We had chicken enchiladas 2 days ago also...and I LOVE chicken enchiladas and would ALWAYS request them for my birthday!! My mom always got so mad because I would put ketchup on my chicken enchiladas and she was sure that I was ruining the delicious meal :) I am proud to say that I no longer need ketchup on my enchiladas they are just fantastic how they are.

Emily said...

I LOVE your forecast template!! Can I print one off? Is that allowed? I love the quote on top AND that you did it for 10 days- makes much more sense!

Mindy said...

I don't quite do 10 days, but we do a week at a time. It's the only way to go with shopping. We've done this for 6 years now, and it means less time shopping, quicker meals on the table and always healthier food.

I love enchiladas, maybe I need to make some soon, eh? :)