Hello, my name is Shantel and I am being crushed under the weight of a big pile of little things. Don't worry, I will be fine. There is just a lot going on!
Here are some little things (and maybe not so little things) that you might care about:
- Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 8:07 am - I was offered a full time teaching position at Westlake High School in Saratoga Springs. (Yay!)
-Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 8:08 am - I accepted.
-It is the end of the term and I have been dealing with students who want to make up assignments from the first week of school in August, students who have sat in my class for the past two weeks doing absolutely nothing and want to know what they can do to bring their grade up, and students who have A's with 100% who are bored out of their minds because they have to sit around while I deal with their classmates.
- David and I went to a Jazz game last night. (We were able to get free tickets from my awesome new coworker, Christine, who heard that David loves sports and had some extras. Thanks Christine!) The game was awesome and we had a great time - but we got back really late and so I am REALLY tired. (Jazz games don't really fit in with the "go to bed at 10 get up at 6" way of life.)
-We still don't have internet at our apartment. It's terrible! We finally caved this weekend and forked over the incredibly large amount of money required for internet access and they told us they could come install it next Saturday. Our reactions: "What! We called to get internet because we can't live without it anymore. We want it now!"
-I have approximately 64.3 things to do and places that I need to be this weekend. I'm not looking forward to this Friday - I'm looking forward to next Friday.
-I have to leave work early to go and sign the contract for my new job. Is it weird that I am nervous for that?
-We are trying out a new recipe tonight. It is the Chicken Tortilla Soup from my favorite new recipe blog Howe to Cook. (Love this blog. You should definitely check it out.) I love Chicken Tortilla Soup whenever I eat it when someone else makes it, but the one and only time I tried to make it myself it didn't turn out very well. Here's hoping this new recipe will be delicious.
-I am blogging instead of doing all of the grading that must be done in the next hour. Haha. I love the internet.
Isn't it amazing how all of the little things seem to pile up until they are a mountain? I'm off to work on my mountain - one little thing at a time!
10 comments:
Congrats on the job! I bet you are a great teacher!
Congrats on the job offer! That is so exciting! And, good luck with everything! I love your positive attitude. Just one thing at a time; you can do it:)
I am so happy you got that job! Thats awesome!
a lot has happened since I've checked in you! Congrats on your new job, I bet you'll be awesome! As for your mountain of things, I feel like this often, and all I can say is take it one item at a time, looking at the whole mountain can be very discouraging, but when you can check things off your list one by one you'll feel a lot better! Good luck!
That sounds like my life now. Be glad that you are not trying to fit school into it anymore. My list consists of school, work, homework, housework, ect... and I still don't have enough time in the day to get everything done. I keep thinking one day I will be done with it all. Then I remember that I will have a career that takes up my time and children running around making a mess of the house that I am trying to keep clean. But we bring it on ourselves and are happy about it. I think that makes me a gluton for punishment!!! Good luck with your list of things to do!
Congrats on the job! You will be amazing! =)
i'm so glad you liked the soup! and thanks for giving our blog a shout-out :) it is so fun to hear that someone likes a reciep you gave them. so yahoo!
and congrats on the job!! yay! it's such a great feeling! especially right now when finding a job is so tough.
okay. i never, EVER bring school work home. ever. i did last year maybe...twice? when i had a big paper due and i wanted to get them graded and back, but i don't think i've done it at all this year. maybe once. but the papers sat in my folder nad i never looked at them. ha. soooo yeah. i don't bring stuff home. at 3:30, i'm done, and i come home. i am a total contract hours teacher. especially since i had my babe. i can't stand to spend any more time than i have to away from him, so i dno't bog myself down with grading at home. my #1 tip (like i'm a pro or something. ha!) is use your time. that whole monitoring by walking around thing is for real and you have to do it, but you cant' do it every second. i get my kids going on something and then go to my desk and spend 5 or so minutes grading. then i go walk around, check on them, and go back...i do this until they're done working or whatever. also, don't grade every single thing you assin. like little stuff. iknow you teach a different subject, but with english i can teach someting and we can practice as a group and then they can work with a partner. then we can have the partnerships share their work with the class. we can cover all groups in just a few minutes. then they can do it individually and we can share agai. that sort of thing. obviously it's important to check teir understanding, but you don't have to hand-grade (and put on their grade) every single thing. sometimes i have them turn stuff in and then i just recycle it without looking because we've already talked about it and i know ifw e can move on or if that hting needs more time. does that make sense? my cooperating teacher gave me that advice and it was the best ever. oh. that and grade everything the day you get it. it can be tough, but it makes for less stress. i never have piles and piles to grade, and it is nice. also, if you DO have piles to grade, don't keep assigning stuff! don't kill yourself! okay. ha. i said #1 tip and that was like a million. but my ct taught me this stuff when i was student teaching and i swear it saved my life. maybe it sounds like bad practice? but it has saved me. anyway. phew. taht was overload!
oh. and end of term. there is onthing i can say about that. we all go through it. such is life as a teacher, i guess!
Shan,
I read your blog, and you are amazing.
Glad you enjoyed the game. We should double sometime. I am so excited to work with you. You are going to do an amazing job!
Congratulations on the job! I'm so happy for you!
Post a Comment