If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Conference Prep

Friday, Friday! Hooray for Friday!

I can't believe that this week is finally over. It's been a killer week - and I have a killer headache - but it's over! Well... almost over. As I type this my Financial Literacy students are working on a self-propelled assignment from handsonbanking.org [check it out if you are interested in doing better with your money - there is an adult section there]. Then after school ends, I have several hundred hours work of school things to take care of... but it's okay because it's Friday!

I've been looking forward to the weekend since last Sunday night. Not only am I super stoked to be able to rest and relax and not work a 15+ hour day (I've worked 15+ hours every day this week but one) but I am also very excited about General Conference. David and I usually go and visit our families over General Conference weekend... and we always look forward to that... but I think that this weekend we are going to stick close to home and just spend some time together.

As I have been getting ready to listen to our Prophet and Apostles teach us, I have been thinking of ways to help keep us engaged in the talks and really get the answers to the questions that we need. General Conference is such an uplifting time - but we have been so busy lately that I am afraid I am going to have a hard time not falling asleep. As I was skimming through the blogs that I follow, I came across this gem at "The Sisters Cafe": General Conference Snacks and Packets.

I think it's so great! I am definitely going to be making some delicious treats for us - and I even printed out two of the "Young Adult" packets for us to go through as we watch conference. I take notes in a notebook most of the time - but then I tend to loose them and there isn't a whole lot of structure. I know that this is silly - but I really am going to use the packet. Plus there are all sorts of fun facts and pictures. I think it's going to be great. I think that things like this are fun. It would be cool to make a packet like this a tradition. My sister-in-law and her family have a special breakfast that they make during conference - and that is the only time they make it. Their kids love it!

I just thought that I would share this link with you  just in case, you know, you wanted to print out a packet and use it too!

I love that the website not only has the packet - it has a menu plan for what they are eating. Spiritual nourishment is improved with physical nourishment. Or at least with delicious food items that make the tummy happy. Items that may or may not be on the menu for the day: (All complements of www.ourbestbites.com)

Chicken Bacon Stuffed Pizza Rolls

Hot Corn Dip

Grilled Chicken and Veggie Skewers
Yumm.... Now... all I have to do is make it through the last 35 minutes of school and I will be home free! Do you have any other conference traditions, recipes, or activities to share? I would love to hear all about them!

4 comments:

Adam and Christine said...

So you just made me super hungry by looking at those chicken and veggie skewers. I agree about staying close to home but Adam loves to go all the place.

Melissa said...

One fun tradition that my family has is that while the guys are at Priesthood meeting all the girls get together and go to "Ladies Night" at Desert Book. We enter the drawings and hope to win. Afterwords we would go out to dinner. Sometimes we would meet up with guys and all go out to dinner. If we didn't go to Ladies Night we would get take out and watch a movie or two or even three sometimes.

The Saturday before conference we go to Seagull Book for their drawings which is really just numbers on the floor that you stand on every 15 min. Its easier to win here because your name is not being drawn. Both Seagull Book and Desert Book have a free gift for the first 100 ladies there. It's really really fun. I'm going to blog about the other conference traditions that we have. Come check it out.

Allison said...

Shan I LOVE the packet you found :) What a fun way to take notes at conference! I wish I had been blog-stalking you before conference ;) haha I hope you had a great conference weekend at home with David! It sounds like it was going to be a big success.

Mindy said...

I love the Sister's Cafe! Lots of fun recipes! Those all look like winners! I hope you had a great conference weekend~