If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, October 25, 2013

A Piano!

In lieu of our typical Friday Five post this week - I just wanted to share one of the most exciting things that happened around here lately:

A new piano!

Well, actually it's not new. But it's new to us. David's Grandma McAllister is getting older and her alzheimers has gotten really bad over the past year. We love her so much and it's so sad to see her loosing her touch with reality. She moved into a care center where she has the constant supervision that she needs, which is really sad but also a really good thing. Now that her house is sitting empty, Sue and Cal have been working to go through all of the stuff in there and get it ready to sell. Long story short, the piano that was in Grandma's house moved to Wendy and Sam's house and the piano that was at their house moved to ours! (Eventually I think this piano will end up at Amy's house and we will inherit the second piano from Cal and Sue's house - but this way all of the pianos have a home for the time being.)

I can't tell you how excited I am about this. I played the piano all growing up, and all through high school (where I competed at several festivals and scored 1's and Superiors almost across the board; I worked really hard and was very proud). However, when I went away to college and didn't have access to a piano anymore - I lost touch with my piano skills. It makes me sad that most of the time I don't even feel comfortable enough to volunteer to play the piano as a fill-in during Relief Society because I just haven't been able to practice regularly for so long. I'm really looking forward to re-developing my skills and filling our home with music.

I have to say THANK YOU so much to Cal and Sue who were kind enough to let us use this piano and for hiring piano movers to bring it to us. Also, thank you to Wendy who took such good care of this piano and let us bring it into our home, and thank you to Amy who is letting us use it until she decides that she wants it. We feel so blessed this week with all of the wonderful things that our family has given to us and done for us completely unselfishly.


Now, does anyone have suggestions for great "I'm not a beginner but I haven't played the piano regularly in ten years so I need to re-learn some things" music? I'd love to hear!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so excited that you have a piano! Also, if you find some good, "I'm not a beginner but I haven't played the piano regularly in ten years so I need to re-learn some things" music, please let me know what it is too! :)

Emily said...

It's so fun to have a piano in your home! I don't plat at all but I still love seeing it in our home. It is such a gorgeous one too. You can tell they took such good care of it! Hooray!!

Melissa said...

For Church music try the simplified hymn book. (They gray one not the green one.) In the regular hymn book there are some easy hymns to play such as "Sweet Hour of Prayer" on pg. 142. Look at the list in the back of the hymn book. The Children's Song book. (This might also be a fun way to teach Lydia the primary songs.)
As far as other music, what do you like to play? If you have kept any of your piano music, pull that out and trying playing that. Also playing scales for few minutes is a good way to work on fingerings.
Check out Day Murray Music for some run music to play. They have the best music selection. Hope my ideas help you. Love ya!

Taylor Family said...

That is so cool that you have a piano. Guess what it looks just like ours. You will love having a piano.

Lauren and Carter said...

How great! I also am interested in hearing what music you try. I played through high school (but not to the level you did it sounds like, way to go!) but I don't feel like I can play at all anymore. I would really love to have a piano and would really love to pick that up again!!

Unknown said...

Pianos are really the difference between a house and home to me. I am happy for you!

Unknown said...

Yay for a piano! I'm so glad you now have one in your home. It looks perfectly situated in that front room. Don't know if this matters to you or if you care, but am I right that it sits on an outside wall? Just wondering if you knew that having it on an outside wall can effect the tuning more drastically over time. But, it's up to you!

I had no idea you played so much and so well! I'm happy for you to get back into it. And I agree with Melissa above, I'd got to Day Murray and check out their music. They have so much, I'm sure you can find something (or many things) you want/need. I LOVE that store and have to restrain myself every time I go in!