If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

2015

January is flying by and I'm finally finishing my first post of the year. I feel like it took the first couple of weeks just to get back into our routine after the holidays. Plus I've been spending every spare second that I'm not holding Austin or playing with Lydia working on stuff for Primary. (The big switch at the beginning of the year is brutal! I think that I will forever make a big batch of cookies and take it around to the Primary Presidency every January.) Blogging has kind of gotten pushed to the background. It may have taken me a bit to get this post written but here it is.

Last year our family goals were:
1- Have a monthly family goal that we write on the calendar. Focus on that goal.
2- Go to the temple every month. No excuses.
3- Do something social at least every other month. Focus on inviting members of the ward into our home as a way to begin/sustain friendships and to reach out to others.
4- Family prayer every morning. (To go along with our Scripture/Song/Prayer at night.)

And my personal goals were:
1- Be more aware of what I'm saying to others and about others.
2- Read my scriptures in the morning instead of putting it off until night.
3- Put a priority on visiting teaching, temple attendance, and cheerfully fulfilling my calling.
4- Dedicate time for both David and Lydia that is distraction free. Make sure they know they are most important.

(I can't find David's goals, even though I thought that he blogged them in a separate post.) 

We did really well with some of our goals, and not as well with others. But I feel like we grew a lot, both personally and as a family this last year and I'm glad for the things that we chose to focus on. 

This year I don't have a list of goals to write. There are a lot of things that I'd like to improve on, but making a list of goals of things I want to do doesn't really resonate with me this year. I was talking to a friend and she shared a short statement about who she wants to be this next year and it really spoke to me. And so, this year I'm not going to focus on a list of things I want to do, I'm going to focus on who I want to be. 

I am patient and kind. I know that I am the most important person to my little family and I act accordingly.  I am steadfast in my beliefs and I reflect the light of Christ into all aspects of my life. I share my love and happiness

I hope to memorize this and infuse the rest of the year with the positive nature of who I want to be. 

We have a lot of things to look forward to: Austin's first year, Lydia's third birthday, a summer o'fun, all of of the wonderful mixed in. 2015 will be a great year. I know it will. 

2 comments:

Kellie and Nick Fawcett said...

I really never make goals at the beginning of the year. I think its too much pressure all at once. I try and make goals throughout the year. I like how you are focusing on who you want to be instead of checking things off a list!

Unknown said...

I love your statement for yourself! What a beautiful reminder.