"Gentle words I hear you say.
Your kind hands help me each day.
You're my mother kind and true;
Dearest mother, I love you."
Lydia sang this song with the Primary during Sacrament Meeting today and it was so sweet. David wanted her to be able to sing the words really well so he's been working with her this month to get them all memorized and we've sung it almost every night during "Scripture, Song, Prayer" for the past several weeks. Both she and Austin sing it throughout the day (sometimes changing the words to be silly) and I've really tried to take the words to heart. I don't know that I am always deserving of such high praise, but I certainly know that I want my words to be gentle and my hands to be kind. Each time my children have sung this song to me (so so so sweetly) I've become even more determined to be a kind, gentle, and loving mother.
I've been blessed with wonderful mothers and grandmothers who have loved and taught me throughout my life. I've also been blessed with a wonderful husband and children who made today so special and full of love. Sleeping in, sweet little gifts, breakfast and dinner (and dishes) done for me, lots of hugs and renditions of the above song.
I've been feeling incredibly grateful lately for the blessing of being a mother. It pushes and stretches me, and sometimes I feel like I'm failing completely. I hope that I am learning Christlike attributes of faith, patience, leadership, service, sacrifice, hard work and charity.
Also, today the Elders Quorums arranged to take over Primary so that all of the Sisters could attend Relief Society. It was so nice to be able to attend Relief Society (the Bishop gave a beautiful lesson about knowing and loving Christ). I'm feeling blessed to be in a ward where everyone loves and supports each other.
Elder Holland once said "The work of a mother is hard and too often unheralded work. Do the best you can through these years, but whatever else you do, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours and for which heaven itself sends angels to watch over you and your little ones."
I love this. I love being a mother. I love having the opportunity to remind myself of the importance of the work I'm doing. And I'm grateful for a husband who always shows his gratitude for me and even so, he makes sure to do so a little extra on this special day.
Also, a note from Lydia about me, her mom - from Preschool.
I call my mom: Mom.
My mom cooks the best: Pizza.
She is great at: Helps me sort the laundry :)
My mom always says: "It's time to go to preschool!"
I love it when she: Helps me.
My mom and I like to: Go on an ice skating date.
I love my mom because: She makes me what I want for breakfast.
Accompanied by a picture of her and I (with belly buttons - my favorite) on an ice skating date.





No comments:
Post a Comment