If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Sunday to Remember

Today was a beautiful day, filled with so many tender mercies and such a spirit of the Lord that I can not wait another moment to sit down and record my thoughts and feelings of the day. There are so many things I want to record, I'm praying in my heart that I will be able to remember and accurately capture my feelings and testimony. 
---
Today, President Russell M. Nelson attended our ward, the Thanksgiving Meadows 2nd Ward. 
---
We walked in about 5 minutes before church started, which was later than the hoped for 10-minutes-early, but not late enough that I was feeling stressed or worried (tender mercy). The second I walked through the doors, I glanced at the front of the chapel and clearly saw President Nelson sitting next to our Bishop, Jose Abarca. One of the Activity Day leaders in our primary, Bryndy Bradshaw, had posted a picture when her baby was born a few months ago of her grandfather, President Nelson, visiting her in the hospital - but I never, not in my wildest dreams ever thought that he would attend our ward for the baby blessing. The thought never even crossed my mind. But a quick glance around made it was clear that was exactly what was happening. 

What an amazing experience to have our prophet with us as we sang, prayed, partook of the sacrament, and worshiped. When our Bishop stood to welcome us, and announced that President Russell M. Nelson was presiding at the meeting - I felt a tangible blanket of peace and power rush from the front of the chapel until it filled every corner of the room. I've never felt anything like it before and it is a feeling that I never want to forget. Such a clear manifestation of priesthood power!

I was thinking about what it would be like to be the speaker assigned to speak on the week that the Prophet attended your ward, especially because I had spoken last week about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and I had studied and quoted a beautiful conference address by President Nelson as part of that talk. It was about this time that I remembered that I had been asked to say the closing prayer! How in the world would I be able to adequately express to our Father in Heaven the feelings of my heart? Our friend, Sister Alex Morley, gave the opening prayer which was simple and beautiful and stated our love and gratitude for the Savior, our firmness in sustaining and loving President Nelson and our gratitude for him. The talks were given by two visiting High Counselors, Israel Gonzalez and Timothy Howells, and they were both on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. They were beautiful and spoke clearly and powerfully of the Savior. Brother Gonzalez immigrated from Peru and started his talk by expressing his great gratitude to be in the presence of President Nelson. He spoke of a time when President Hinkley visited his country in Peru and he was able to attend a meeting to listen to the Prophet speak, and how much that had touched him and his life. He said that he never could have guessed that one day, a prophet of the Lord would be listening to him speak - but that he was grateful for the opportunity to share his testimony. Oh, it was just beautiful.

I felt my natural and logical side trying to map out a plan for what to say in the closing prayer, specific words for what to include, but the spirit whispered to me that I didn't need to do that. I didn't need to think about what other people thought of the prayer that I was preparing to offer. It didn't matter what they thought, and truly it didn't even matter what President Nelson thought. The prayer wasn't for him, wasn't for anyone but the Lord. So instead I started praying in my heart that I would be able to offer up the collective gratitude on behalf of my ward family. Gratitude for the opportunity to worship together, gratitude for our beloved Prophet, gratitude for our Savior and His matchless power. What an incredibly opportunity to be able to express that gratitude and love. Truly, this experience - to be able to offer a prayer of gratitude for our Savior and also for our Prophet, while in the presence of the Prophet of God - I feel a change in my heart. I felt the spirit fill my heart as I offered the closing prayer, and I don't remember all that I said - but I remember that it wasn't scripted, it wasn't polished- meant for impressing those listening. It was a heartfelt declaration of love and faith and gratitude. I want to live the rest of my life with that same level of love and faith and gratitude. 

After the closing prayer, I made the conscious decision to step to the side and not approach the Bishop and President Nelson. I thought about it for a split second, knowing that I would be there on the stand - just a few feet away from him, knowing that I could shake his hand, and express my love and appreciation for him. But, I also knew that he wasn't here on Church Business. He was here to attend the baby blessing of his great-granddaughter. I walked to the side and watched the great love that President Nelson showed to each person who approached him. Eventually he made his way out the side door while our congregation stood in respect and love. It was just a beautiful moment. 

What a blessing to be able to worship with our prophet today. He didn't speak, didn't address us at all - but knowing that he was there standing shoulder to shoulder with us as we walk this Covenant Path of discipleship? It was a blessing that I hope I, and my children, never forget. 


I taught sharing time today, and we learned about Jesus Christ and His Resurrection.  I told the primary children the story of Jesus' Death and Resurrection starting with him going to a hill to pray, and praying so fervently and with so much love that he took upon himself all of our sins and mistakes. He chose to suffer for us, because He loves us. 

When the soldiers took Him, the wicked men tried to tempt him, "If you really have the power of God, why don't you save yourself??" Even his disciples had to wonder why he was allowing himself to be treated so terribly. ---  He could have stopped them. He had the power to save Himself. But, he chose to allow them to hurt him, to nail him to a cross. He chose to allow his spirit to leave his body, because by doing so - he completed the Atonement, allowing him to truly become our Savior. He did so out of love for us, so so so much love. 

His disciples were sad. Words like despair, hopelessness, sorrow and grief come to mind. They loved him so much, and they didn't understand the plan, not fully. They took his body and laid it in a tomb where soldiers rolled a large rock in front of the entrance then guarded it so that nobody could get in and nothing could get out. For three days Jesus' friends mourned - but on the third day, when his friend Mary came to the tomb - she saw that the great rock had been moved away. She could see inside and saw that it was empty. She fell to the ground in tears, because she thought that the soldiers had taken him away. But then an angel appeared to her and said "Mary, why are you crying? He is not here, He is risen." He is risen! Jesus Christ had allowed his body to be separated from his spirit, and then through his incredible power he reunited them, never again to be separated. 

But there's more to the story - because of this: because Jesus Christ gained power over death, and because of his great love for us, we will be resurrected, too! Because we are human, eventually our spirits will become separated from our bodies - we will die. But because of our Savior Jesus Christ - we will be resurrected. Our spirits will join with our bodies, eternally! 
--
As I prepared this lesson I was so grateful for the spirit bearing testimony of the truth and the great glory of the Savior and his power. I've been studying Jesus Christ and although I don't profess to understand or know everything - I know that he loves us.

After my talk last week, I had been feeling like I wanted to post it as a record of my feelings and of my testimony about the power of Jesus Christ. I've decided to add it to the end of this blog post so that it will be printed into our blog book at the end of the year. But before I do, I wanted to share my testimony of the power of my Savior, Jesus Christ. I stand on His side, forever and ever. I love President Russell M. Nelson. I sustain him. I choose to "follow the prophet." I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, and for the knowledge of this gospel that brings such light to my life and hope that forever and always my family will know that I know. I've picked a side- He has my faith and my trust. 

----
the Atonement
A Sacrament Meeting Talk by Shantel Peaden

Good afternoon Brother and Sisters. My name is Shantel Peaden. My husband David and I have been in the ward for just over five years and we have three small children, we love this ward and are grateful to be here. Through my callings over the past five years, I’ve come to know and love each of you, even if you don’t know me! Some of you may remember years ago when part of my calling was to make sure each family had a picture in LDS Tools- which led to me very awkwardly asking for and taking pictures – as well as spending a lot of time studying the names and faces of the ward members. My calling in the primary continues to give me the opportunity to know, love, and pray for you. (I still spend a lot of time in LDS tools!)

I would like to start by reading a portion of a favorite hymn, # 129. As I read, I would like you to think about the answer to the question so fervently being asked:
Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, Searching my soul?
Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One. 
Today I want to talk about our Savior. The one who we can always turn to, the ONLY one who can ALWAYS understand, the one who will bring us peace and solace and salvation.

In Primary we are focusing on learning and memorizing the Articles of Faith. Articles of Faith 1:3 says: “We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.”

What does it mean to be saved? Or what are we saved from?

In Mosiah chapter 4, we read about the people of King Benjamin. They just heard the powerful words of their prophet and leader and they were so overcome with the weight of their sins and weaknesses that they fell to the earth:
(quote)
2 And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men.
3 And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ who should come, according to the words which king Benjamin had spoken unto them.

They felt the burden of their sins, and they turned to the Savior – who immediately sent his Spirit to them to fill them with joy and grant them forgiveness of their sins.


Elder Oaks taught:
In mortality we have the certainty of death and the burden of sin. The Atonement of Jesus Christ offsets these two certainties of mortal life. But apart from death and sin, we have many other challenges as we struggle through mortality. Because of that same Atonement, our Savior can provide us the strength we need to overcome these mortal challenges.

Alma described this part of the Savior’s Atonement: “And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people”

As part of this earthly life we experience pains, afflictions, sorrow, and worries. We each have our own struggles. They might range from weaknesses we wish we could overcome, to overwhelming heartaches that we think we can’t possibly endure.

That is why I think this is such a powerful concept to understand: Our Savior, Jesus Christ, knows our struggles, our heartaches, our temptations, and our suffering. He willingly experienced them all. And because of this, His Atonement empowers Him to give us the strength to bear it all. Sometimes His power heals an infirmity or removes a trial, but the scriptures and our experiences teach that sometimes He helps by giving us the strength or patience to endure.

And so, we are saved from Sin, from Death, from Sorrow, from Pain.

We are saved by Jesus Christ! We are NOT saved by the Atonement. The words “the Atonement” describe what the Savior DID. But that atoning sacrifice – the central act of all human history – is what the Savior went through, what He CHOSE to perform so that he is able to reach out and save US. Jesus Christ is the source of the power.

In the month leading up to my 30th birthday, I decided that I wanted to read the Book of Mormon all the way through. I ended up listening to most of it through the Gospel Library App, and it changed me. As I listened, it was made clear that the entire book of Mormon was filled of testimony of Jesus Christ. Page after page the words had one purpose – to bring the people, to bring the reader, to bring me, TO Christ. I received my own testimony that the purpose of the Book of Mormon was not to leave a record of a people, but was for the purpose of testifying of Christ.

2nd Nephi Chapter 25, verse 23 says: For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

We labor DILIGENTLY TO WRITE – to persuade our children to believe in Christ.
For we know that it is BY HIS GRACE, BY HIS POWER that we are saved.

This verse ends by saying “after all we can do”, but I think that can be confusing. There isn’t a deal in heaven that says “If you do EVERYTHING you can, and you can somehow hit… 20%, then the Savior will step in and make up the other 80%.” No. He has paid for ALL of it. Already. He covers us 100%. I think this phrase “after all we can do” means EVEN AFTER. Even if we do everything we can possibly do, even if we work our whole lives to do it – we can not earn even 1% of Heaven. Even after ALL we can do – we are saved by the Grace of Jesus Christ.

Sometimes we might think that we have to do all of this stuff to earn God’s forgiveness, But God gives his forgiveness easily – all we have to do is ASK. Ask, repent, and allow His power to change us. Like the good Samaritan, when He finds us wounded at the wayside, He will bind up our wounds and care for us. The healing and strengthening power of Jesus Christ and His Atonement is for all of us who will ASK.

And then, rather than trying to earn salvation – the things that we do are because of that salvation. Our works don’t make us need Christ’s Atonement less, they aren’t compiled into a sum total of the goodness that we’ve done to get into heaven. But our works help us become like Him. They enable us to know Him and to reach out to Him. And to help others know and reach out to him.

President Ezra Taft Benson said: “Yes, Christ changes men (and women), and changed men (and women) can change the world.

Men changed for Christ will be captained by Christ. Like Paul they will be asking, “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?” Peter stated, they will “follow his steps.” John said they will “walk, even as he walked.”

I love the thought that when Christ changes us, we are HIS. Our will becomes His, we do things to please the Lord. We stand as witnesses of Him at all times and all things and in all places – because we are a witness to his Goodness and Mercy and we cannot be anything but!

Coming back to the people of King Benjamin: they experienced this change. They said with one voice: -“We believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.

I truly believe that the mighty change that we feel in our hearts isn’t experienced overnight. But the more we allow His power into our lives, the more determined we are to follow Him.

Last year President Nelson bore witness to the Power of Jesus Christ and outlined how we can access that Godly power – power sufficient to deal with the burdens, obstacles, and temptations of our day.

We begin by learning about Jesus Christ.

We make sacred covenants and keep those covenants with precision.

We reach up to Him in faith. Such reaching requires diligent, focused effort.


TESTIMONY
-Jesus Christ is the power.
-The Atonement of Jesus Christ is the key element to the Plan of Salvation.
-When we look to him and draw his power into our lives we will be supported, find peace, and be changed.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Sources:
(Nelson) www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/04/drawing-the-power-of-jesus-christ-into-our-lives
(Benson) www.lds.org/general-conference/1985/10/born-of-god
(Oaks) www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/10/strengthened-by-the-atonement-of-jesus-christ
(Oaks2) www.lds.org/liahona/2008/04/the-atonement-and-faith
(Grow) www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/the-miracle-of-the-atonement

No comments: