If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving: Our home

For the first time in our marriage, Shantel and I were in charge of Thanksgiving this year. In charge, as in hosting, and turkey and rolls and everything. All of my siblings were going to be elsewhere for Thanksgiving this year: Wendy and Sam were going to be with his family this year; Bruce, Amy and Kevin were all in Africa; Matt and Julie were in Indiana; Jeff and Kaylee were with her family. 

As I talked about in September, my mom has been really sick and is not really up to putting Thanksgiving together, so we volunteered this year. Of course, we love hosting at our house, but being in charge of everything, was quite the task. Also, I absolutely loved it. We spent all day Wednesday and Thursday morning doing all of the prep. Wednesday night we were up until past 1 am trying to do everything and I enjoyed it so much. I love working in the kitchen with Shantel and we had lots of things to talk and laugh about. 

Lydia and Austin helped prep the dinner rolls. My favorite thing is that they really did the work. Shantel had them roll out the dough, cut out the shapes and even fold the dough in half and put it on the baking sheet. They are such good helpers and it was so much fun to have them working with us in the kitchen. 




Meanwhile I was in charge of the turkey. I did all the turkey prep on Wednesday night. (While Shantel was mainly working on pies). Shantel does not like bones in her meat, so there was no way she was going to handled the raw turkey. We bought turkey breasts (rather than the whole turkey), because we thought that would be easier, and it was so much easier. Shantel and I made a lemon and seasoning butter rub and I rubbed it on the turkey. The next day the turkey turned out awesome.



It was so much fun to get out the china from my Grandpa McAllister and have such a festive set up.


It was just us and my parents and we really enjoyed their company.

For dinner we had: Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Rolls, Peas, 5 cup salad and lemon jello.









For dessert we had White Chocolate Banana Cream Pie and Pumpkin Pie (the kids got their own miniature banana cream pies. Shantel also used the White Chocolate cream filling and made an oreo crust white chocolate peppermint pie to take to Morgan as well.


I loved the banana cream pie, it was perfect.



To end the night, Jake stopped by to say hello.

I am grateful for Shantel for her love and constant effort to bless my life. Lydia for her kindness and love. Austin for his genuine excitement about life and the joy he brings to our family. Caleb for his smile and playful attitude. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: