If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Plein Air Painting

I have this friend, Ali. She's amazing. Such a wonderful mom. So real. Every time I leave after spending time with her I simultaneously feel like (1) I am wonderful the way I am (2) I want to be a better person, AND (3) I am a better person for having spent time with her. She's a gem of a soul. PLUS she has these great ideas and has the motivation and courage to make them happen. She recently initiated a girls night where we all met up Big Cottonwood Canyon and had an art class in Plein Air Painting. (Plein Air is a painting movement where you paint outside, using the outside as your guide.)

It. Was. So. Fun. 

We learned about tone, and using colors, and looking at light - a whole bunch of things that I don't remember any of the details about but I really enjoyed at the moment. 





Lucy tagged along with me. She is the greatest little tagalong. She slept for most of it, and was decently content in her wrap for another good portion. Honestly, I went into it for the experience - without a whole lot of expectation. I wasn't able to paint as well or as much as I might have been able to otherwise, but it didn't really matter. Fresh air. Good friends. Something new and different. 
An adventure. It was good for me. 


David was actually flying home from a work trip in Minneapolis this very night and wasn't going to be home until late - but something that I've learned (or decided - or started doing) is that I can do the things that I want to do even if David won't be there to help. I can make time for things that are important to me. I found a couple of babysitters to cover the time that I'd be gone and I went and did my thing and it was wonderful. 


Just grateful for the time and opportunity to do something to fuel my creativity and adventure-loving spirit. 

No comments: