If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, September 27, 2019

Austin's 5 Year Birthday Celebrations




Austin's birthday week started out with a spontaneous trip to CALIFORNIA! We packed a whole bunch of fun things in, but no official birthday celebrations until we got home, which meant that we celebrated his birthday week mostly through the week after his birthday (usually I would celebrate a birthday week in the week leading up to the birthday). Lydia encouraged us to blow up balloons with special notes, treats, or activities in the balloons for each day. It was a win.

Basically for the entire month leading up to Austin's birthday, he kept asking if we could make his birthday cake yet. On Sunday, the day before his birthday, when we told him it was time to make his cake - he was thrilled. It was probably the highlight of his birthday celebrations. 



Monday morning, of his actual birthday, we brought him breakfast in bed (#win), let him skip his Monday morning jobs (#win), and then took him to the Legacy center, as per his request, after all of our homeschool things were done. (#win) In a note of honesty, it was on the rough side as far as days in general go, and at one point we were all so high-strung that I stuck everyone in the car and ran a few errands just because I needed people to be strapped into their carseats so we could all breathe for a minute. While Lydia was at her spanish class, I let Austin and Caleb stay in their carseats and watch a Paw Patrol in the van while I did some catching up on things in the front seat. It wasn't exactly a #win, but the boys thought it was great - so it wasn't a total loss. I hope that even though our day wasn't a picture perfect, full to the brim of goodness and sprinkles, day - that this Austin boy knew how much he was loved and how grateful we are to have him in our family. 

A Magic Tree House Cake for our Jack-and-Annie loving boy. 


He requested a #5 candle for his cake, but I didn't have one - thankfully our friend Sister Lewis heard about our missing candle and sent one over to us. It was perfect. 

Austin loves games, and so we bought him several new card games and I thought he'd be really excited about it - but although I think he will really like them over time, the big winner was a little walkie-talkie set that Aunt Jenna sent to him. We were able to Marco Polo with the Haderlies and I am SO grateful to them. It was exactly the kind of gift that is perfect for a 5 year old. Also he asked my parents for candy and they gave him FIVE big bags of candy. (Plus an alphabet writing book/card set). Sue and Cal were out of town for his birthday but they bought him a building set that he loves, but I'm just so grateful that Jenna sent those walkie-talkies so he could have something super special to open. 



The last balloon that he popped for his Birthday Week was a special date with Daddy. They ended up going to a little arcade in town and it was the best. Austin had a great time and talks about going back there often. The perfect way to end his birthday week. 


Austin, we hope that you know that the reason we celebrate your birthday is because we want to celebrate YOU. You are kind, funny, good-natured, and the best brother. We love you and will always be here for you and we are just so so glad that you are in our family. 

No comments: