For my birthday this year (what number is it again? how old am I now?) I decided that I just wanted to do some things that I wanted to do.
We started the weekend by going to a pop-up museum based around literature and words called "Love Letters Museum." We went on a field trip for homeschool and actually met up with another homeschooling family (there was supposed to be a big group, but it ended up being just us and one other family). I had been planning to go for weeks but I mentioned it just a few days in advance and David decided to take the afternoon off to come with us! That made it even more special.
We hadn't really planned out what we were going to do but I had scheduled a babysitter (thank you babysitting swap!) and then right before we left I remembered a flyer for a chocolate class close to our house. We called to see if they had any openings and they did! We drove straight there just in time for the chocolate class to start and it was so. much. fun. We got to make whatever kind of chocolate we wanted, even using their machines and things. It was just such a fun thing to do, and the spontaneity of it made it even more special. I just love David and I love being with him and doing spontaneously fun things with him is like my very favorite thing.


The kids were so sweet and the big two both bought me a gift with their own money. Austin bought me a new wallet because mine was stolen again a few months ago and I haven't gotten a new one. He was SO sweet to want to buy it for me. Lydia picked a yellow flower because she knows that I love the color yellow. David gave me a coupon for a 10 year anniversary photo shoot just for he and I. I'm so excited about that! My parents gave me a bunch of wonderful things, and so did my siblings. I'm feeling spoiled and so loved.
David (sadly) had to leave on his annual Phoenix, AZ work trip the morning of my actual birthday (today, Sunday). So I was just planning to hang out with the kids at home, but my sweet sister Melissa came over to wish me a happy birthday and as we were talking we decided that it would be super fun to go up AF canyon to roast marshmallows together. I love Melissa so much and am constantly amazed at her genuine care for others and her willingness to do so much work to make things enjoyable for everyone around her. The bonfire made my birthday even more special and I feel lucky to be surrounded by such great people.
(Also, Austin was SO excited about roasting marshmallows on the fire but he ended up burning his hand on one of the roasting sticks. It was a pretty bad burn- poor guy. The rest of the night he sat in the chair pouring freezing cold water over his hand. He didn't want to go home. You could tell he was still trying to enjoy it because he had been so excited, but he was hurting pretty bad. He was tough and I was just so sad that it had turned into a bummer for him.)
I think birthdays are special. A time to stop and celebrate the things that make life wonderful. I am blessed to be surrounded by so many people who called, texted, messaged and sent kind words and birthday wishes. Sometimes I'm not sure how I got to be so lucky to live this life. But I am incredibly grateful. This past year was a great year. The past many years have been great years. Years spent dedicating my time and energy (and body) to growing this little family to what it is now. Four beautiful children and a husband that I adore. I'm trying to soak in my time in this stage, potty accidents, sleepless nights, and all. Because this is probably the last year I will be in this stage. From here on out we will be building our family by strengthening our relationships, and building a fortress of faith. I feel that it's going to take a new level of energy and dedication - but looking at these sweet faces, I only know that it will be worth it.
I'm happy to celebrate the years that I've lived and excited to celebrate through the next stage of my life.



























No comments:
Post a Comment