I started this post as a place to put all of our June Hikes - but then this ended up being the only hike that I took pictures of. We also went to our favorite swinging bridge, and maybe one other - but June flew by and we didn't get out as much as we usually do. The coronavirus is really putting a damper on things because even we we do get out, the trails are just busier than normal and it's hard to know how busy is too busy. I've decided that even though this summer is going to be a little different than a usual summer might be, that's going to be okay. We might do less hiking, less exploring, and we might not go swimming at all, but that will be okay.
This hike we hit up with our favorite Middleton crew. It's called Jungle Trail in Draper and it was created specifically for kids to explore nature - so there are branches to duck under and paths that weave back and forth. It was just fun. I sat down in the dirt and made peanut butter sandwiches on my lap for all the kids to eat and it was just one of those moments when I felt like I was giving my kids a really great childhood. I want to remember that feeling, especially in the middle of so many other limitations.
But as May passed and then into June, we started allowing a few extra visits here and there. We've been going to my parent's house regularly, we've done some social-distanced visits at David's parents, and even though we aren't getting out much - we've still been able to see some of our friends this month.
Remember this photo from almost exactly a year ago??? Ashley and I at roughly 35 weeks pregnant. And now these sweet babies, Lucy & Jackson, got to hang out for close to the first time. It's so sad that they've not known each other this year because our other babies basically grew up together but this year has been such a crazy year for both of our families. We just haven't had much time to spend together with our kids, and that's okay. Seeing them together now was just perfect. Ashley was so kind to come and drop something off to me to borrow and then I convinced her and her kids to stay and play for a while. We chatted while the kids played in our recently-finished basement and all was right in the world!
A few days later, my two best friends from high-school, Tausha and Kayla, came for a visit and it was just balm for my heart. I love these two so much and wish they didn't live so far away (Arizona and SPAIN, respectively). But they always make time for me when they are in the state and I'm SO grateful for that. 12 kids between the three of us, now. I'm lucky to have them in my life.


And now for the biggest news of the summer: my parents got a dog! Lydia is in HEAVEN.


They've been talking about getting a dog for months and months and months, maybe even a year. Lydia has been SO on board with them getting a dog and has sent them dog breed recommendations, taken my mom to the local shelter, and talked with them non-stop. When we first went to meet Rugby my dad said to me "We got a dog for us, but you know that we got this dog for Lydia, too, right?" That's how you know you have amazing parents... when they will get a dog for your child so that you don't have to. We've been up to visit him every week this month and we all love him. Especially Lydia.


We celebrated Father's day with my dad while David was out of town helping Bruce move to Colorado. We played with the puppy, made bread, and just enjoyed being up there. We made a paper-chain to countown to retirement for my dad and Lydia used her own money to buy a special blown-glass figurine of a deer for his office (complete with hand-made book about deer of the world). Austin loves being in the kitchen and making things and he especially loved making the bread with different mixins (grains, raisins, herbs, etc...).


So yeah, this summer is not shaking out to be a "normal" summer. It's certainly not going to be a "summer of dreams" but it really is going to be okay. My kids are happy and that's enough for right now.






No comments:
Post a Comment