I like the sound of 14 years, almost as much as I like that I've been married to this amazing man for 14 years! I think I like it because it feels like a golden anniversary (like a golden birthday when you turn the age that your birth day number is on). Our first true connection, the start of our Hallmark Love Story, was on February 14th. That's when it all began. So celebrating 14 years feels a little special.
Additionally, I really didn't like the sound of 13 years. My grandparents (mom's mom and dad) got divorced at 13 years of marriage and I remember my mom really struggling with that emotional baggage when my parents had been married for 13 years. Generational-trauma-wise- I feel like I suffered a similar, but lessened, concern. I didn't like acknowledging we'd been married for 13 years and would often say "we've been married for almost 14 years" instead. To clarify, our marriage relationship didn't struggle and wasn't affected - in fact, this past year has been one of our very best yet! Every day of being married to David is a blessing in my life. However, I didn't like the sound of 13 years and I'm so incredibly pleased to finally be officially at 14 years.
We celebrated with a date weekend in May, plus a mini date to the temple open house the week before. On the actual Day, David was flying to Minneapolis and I was spending some time with the Haderlies. Such is the life of our busy family, but nothing could keep me from celebrating this day, from being grateful for the spouse that David is, and from being so so happy to be married to him.



No comments:
Post a Comment