If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Lydia at the Ranch

Our July was a little busy, especially factoring in that David was gone 3/4 weeks and we were having significant van repair problems. When my Dad called to tell me that they were going to be haying the fields during the last week of July and asked if Lydia wanted to come help, I just wasn't sure how I was going to get her up there. Through a series of tender mercies and help from others, we got Lydia up there. (Jenna took her with her on her way to Perry, Jacob drove from Morgan to pick her up from Jenna in Ogden, and she was there so that my Dad could leave at 6 am the following morning. She was up there for 3-4 days. 

It was such a great experience for her and she was SO helpful. I'm so proud of her. 


My dad said that they wouldn't have been able to finish the haying without her. This is her second year of going and staying at the ranch to help. I was kind of hoping to send Austin this year (or bring all of us so Austin and Lydia could both help), but it just wasn't in the cards this year. 

On the way to Wyoming from Morgan, they stopped at a store and my dad bought Lydia this cowgirl outfit. I sent her with jeans, tennis shoes, and a long sleeve shirt. She ended up with cowgirl boots (which she loves), a pearl button long sleeve, her own work gloves, and a pink cowgirl hat. 

It was so kind of my dad and Lydia was so happy to look like a real cowgirl. 

One of the most tender things is that Lydia got to spend SO much time with my grandpa, Ramon Walker, she ate meals with him, watched TV with him, worked alongside him in the fields, and went exploring some of his favorite places in their time off. They went to the summer range and checked on the bridge and fence (Lydia's favorite place in the world) and they also went exploring Church Butte together. My dad sent me videos of her feeding baby calves, working around the ranch, and driving the pickup (all by herself). They had such a fun time together and I love this experience for her. 



This is particularly meaningful because my Grandpa passed away on August 11, 2023. I will write more about that in a separate post, but it happened so fast and I am overwhelmingly grateful that Lydia was able to spend his last good days working and exploring by his side. I love her, love him, love my dad, love this beautiful, wild, Wyoming land.

No comments: