I just had to share this because I think that it is so cool.
So, I've mentioned before that one of the classes that I teach is an Interior Design II class. There are only eight students in the class, so it is really laid back. (Especially right after the class before it which has a zillion students. Seriously. There aren't even enough desks for all of the students.) They have been working on a project all semester called the District House. It's awesome. You see, Alpine School district actually builds two houses every year and then sells them. This year, Westlake is in charge of the construction and design of the house. The wood shop is making cabinets, other classes are providing their contributions, and the Interior Design II class actually gets to design the interior of the home! It is set up so that the students are in groups and are competing with each other to come up with the very best design. Next week, I will assist in picking a winner. Let me say this again: The students who designed the winning project will actually be able to see all of their plans carried out in a real life house! They put together a whole binder full of designs, color swatches, counter/carpet/wood samples, quotes from different companies, and many other details.
I think that it is an incredible learning opportunity for the students to get that hands on experience. Plus, there is something really cool about seeing something that you designed become a reality. (I feel that way every time I see a wedding announcement that I designed after it has been printed. Especially when my clients mail me an announcement - it's an awesome feeling to watch it come out of an envelope. It makes me giddy every time!)
Pretty much... I think that Alpine School District is pretty awesome. Especially this school. It's really new (less than three years old) and has around 2000 students (which is huge for a small town girl like me). One thing that shocked me when I started here was their cell phone/technology policy. The policy essentially states that students can have their cell phones/ipods/laptop computers in class - as long as it is not creating a major distraction. Holy moly - 360 from when I was in school! I am still not sure how I feel about it. It really gets under my skin to see students with headphones in while I am talking (especially when they are sharing headphones with their neighbor and I can see them both tapping out the rhythm on the desk.) But - it actually hasn't been as distracting as I thought that it would be. Which surprises me. Maybe it isn't worth the fight to keep the technology out of the classroom.
So I am curious - how many of you did projects like the District House when you were in school? Also, what was your school policy concerning technology? What do you think that the technology policy should be?
Well... thats it! I believe that my job interview is tomorrow. Wish me luck!
5 comments:
That is so awesome they can do a project like that. Best we had was internships. :) (Which I enjoyed.) And I don't think kids should be allowed to have their headphones in class. That's just rude. I've always been a huge believer that teachers shouldn't babysit students and that if a student wants to do crappy, let them do crappy, and don't make a million rules in order to force them to succeed. They need to have that drive to succeed on their own. However, I also believe we shouldn't be encouraging such blatant rudeness as listening to music during class! While the teacher is talking! So I say let them have their cell phones and if they choose to not pay attention and hide the phone, so be it, they can fail, but they should be required to show respect which means at least try to look like they're listening. My huge problem with "kids these days" (just aged myself to 70 years old) is the feeling that everything revolves around them. And if they aren't super happy and having nonstop fun/being entertained all the time, something is wrong. Which philosophy is obviously wrong. My two bits. :)
Good luck at the interview!
I'm so happy to hear that you are having such a great time! This is why they need to hire you because you are so excited about everything and have such a fresh take- you would be so great! I hope the interview went well!! We're rootin for you!
Sounds like you're liking your job. I am so happy for you! We did the same ting as the district house at my high school, but I never got to participate. I always thought it was such a great idea.
This is an awesome idea! What a great way for kids to learn how what they enjoy doing can be applied in real life, not just in a classroom! Technology in the classroom? Headphones should not be allowed. They're there to learn not to rock out. As far as other technology goes as long as it's not distracting the student or those around them I don't see the harm.
that is so cool that they do that! i had no idea..
i can't believe that that is your school's phone policy. i would freak! ours is zero at all except for before and after school. i have snatched my fair share of ipods and phones. i guess that's one plus about jr. high? ha. but i guess if it works, it works.
Post a Comment