If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Carl Bloch Exhibit

I didn't have work today. It was wonderful! I lounged about this morning and worked on lesson plans (hooray!) and then I was able to go to the Carl Bloch exhibit at BYU with Sam, Wendy, and their kids. It was really cool. Carl Bloch is an amazing artist, and it was really interesting to learn more about him and his paintings.

Carl Bloch was born in Denmark in 1834. He painted several paintings that are considered the foremost artistic expression of the Savior's ministry. It was amazing to see his rendition of Christ and his life.


I loved the description about this picture. It talked about how the curve of the fountain bends so as to include the viewer in the painting, as if we were there with the savior as he healed the sick, suggesting that we too may have come to the fountain to be healed. Amazing.


I think that the kids very favorite part was an interactive exhibit that we found in the basement after we were done with the Carl Bloch exhibit. It was called "Healing 1" and it uses algorithms to create a glowing pool of organic patterns projected on the floor. These patterns tear and rebuild themselves as viewers walk across the projection, mirroring the healing process as a scar develops over a wound and reflecting the memory that those scars may hold. Mostly, the kids just loved running, jumping, and rolling over it and then watching it change. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty cool.



My favorite part of the exhibit was when we learned about how Bloch received a prestigious commission to paint a series of paintings for the Frederiksborg Castle in Denmark. The paintings were for the "Kings Oratory." He worked on these paintings for fourteen years. The twenty-three masterworks he produced present the story of Jesus Christ from the Annunciation to the Resurrection. It was amazing. They had a movie of the Kings Oratory room, and it was breathtaking. You have to realize that I am really into the whole "Interior Design/Architecture" thing, but honestly... the art surrounded by all of the amazing architectural features was stunning. I found a panorama of the room and really want you to go look at it. Just click on this link: Kings Oratory. Please do it!


I was happy to be able to spend a couple of hours with Wendy and her sweet family. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful sister-in-law!

Here are some more pictures from the day: 

If you get a chance to go, I would highly recommend it! There is the option to rent an iPad and take a virtual tour with it. Have any of you been already? I've heard of a lot of people who have gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoa. HOLD THE PHONE! how do you know joshua? are these your relatives? he is my student!!