As I was sitting here, taking a break from my lesson planning and grade entering, I was just thinking... you know? Just thinking about how it is the small things that make life so good. Small things like having a bag of milk chocolate chips hanging out in your desk drawer. Or being able to chat with your darling husband throughout the day so that between classes you can come back to a message on your computer that says something like "I really love you a lot and hope your day is going well." That is a little thing that makes life just a little bit brighter.
The more I think about it, the more "little things" I come up with. Here are just a few:
-My new "scissor hangers." I was having a hard time with my students using my fabric scissors to cut paper with and so I asked the metal shop teacher to make me some scissor hangers. He got them to me last week and the custodians hung them up last night! I love them.
-Rearranging my classroom. I had my aide help me start rearranging my classroom and I am loving the way that things are working out. There isn't much I can do about the arrangement of the desks, but even the small changes make this classroom feel like my very own. I love it.
-My red trench coat. I've always loved the trench coat look, especially the red-trench coat look, but Logan has always been too cold for be to be able to justify buying it. After we moved to Lehi, I bought this red trench coat - and I have been loving being able to wear it during this "spring-like" weather. In Logan I would still be packing around my winter coat.
(Can you say "I-love-this-coat-and-think-it's-the-greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread.")
-The fact that David understood how much I love this coat, so he took me back to the store to buy me one in black and one in blue! (That is right ladies and gents - these coats are perfect for this Lehi weather. I now own three of them. And yes, I know that David is wonderful to me.)
-Having my students see me in the hall and say "Hi Mrs. Peaden!" with a big smile on their face. (Mostly this means that at least some of my students like me.)
-Having a Meal Plan so that I know what is for dinner. Seriously, this is a tiny thing, but it helps so much with my stress level. I love it!
-Spending time with my family! Last weekend David and I spent quite a bit of time with family. For part of the weekend we went to Morgan to watch my little brothers in the school play and it was awesome. I only wish that I could show you some scenes from the play because it was so amazing. More on this to come. Spending time with my family is the best. I just love them!
-Being able to write all of my crazy thoughts and feelings on this blog. (I just realized that I said "I love it/them at the end of half of my "little things". Oh well, I can be happy if I want to be. It's my blog.)
These are just a few of my little things, but unfortunately, my lessons are beckoning to me. My goal is to get at least one week ahead in all of my classes - but lately I have been stuck at a steady 2-3 days. I just need to focus a little bit more to be able to make it over the hill and get to my full five days. Wish me luck!
Oh, and before I forget... leave me a comment and tell me about one of your "little things" I would love to hear about them!

7 comments:
Looks like you guys are doing great! Love the coat by the way!!! I am glad you posted about this, because this topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I am often reminded of the analogy that the smallest turn of a hinge on a door opens the other end by 10x as much. (something to that affect :) But I truly believe that the small things build the greatest things in our lives including happiness. One of the best "little things" for me is watching the blind man on my bus smile the entire ride, everyday. This small act, unknown to him, touches my heart deeply each time and makes me realize how blessed I really am.
Thanks for the post :)
Little things-reading your blog and Wendy's blog. having my children call me just to say hi. Sue
We are home-bodies most of the time, and we just love watching movies together. I'm serious-we love it! My little boy loves to get the place mats for dinner. It's the cutest thing and is an every meal 'to do'. I love having a clean table cloth on our table, and place mats just set the eating mood haha! The sun is the the most relaxing thing in our home. Lots of windows, lots of sunshine, and I stay so warm. My house feels more homie with the sunshine shining through. We too love chocolate chips or butterscotch chips. They hit the spot and make for such a nice treat when needed. We even keep them in a low spot for Dawson to reach and help himself. :-) Little things are great!
Ghirardelli 60% Cacao chocolate chips. You can buy them at Walmart. They are the BEST! I LOVE them, although, I'm trying to cut back.
Thanks for this post, Shantel :) You made me realize that it's not the big things that count, but the small, little minutia things that happen every single day! Thanks!
One of my "little things" is coming home to a clean house. It's not huge, but it makes a BIG difference in my attitude after coming home from a long day at work!
Also, I love that trench coat...super cute!!
One of my little things...my heating blanket. I love to turn it on before I climb into bed so when I do it's all nice and toasty warm. Another one...when my nieces and nephews come to sit on my lap for a few minutes or to give me a hug. It makes my day.
You are my little thing. Shan, without you I think I would die. LIke seriously. You keep me afloat! I love you so much!
Post a Comment