If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, November 2, 2015

Halloween 2015

Oh, Halloween, how I love thee. It's so festive and fun and there is so much delicious candy everywhere. This year Lydia got a witch costume from her cousin Aubrey, months and months before Halloween and decided right then and there that a witch is what she wanted to be. I really wanted to do a themed family costume (I thought I'd have at least one more year of being able to influence what Lydia wanted to be), but every time I asked her if she wanted to be this or that she'd just give me the look and say "Mooom, I already have a costume." So a witch it was. I still reaaaaaaaly wanted Austin and Lydia to match. I know it's silly and doesn't really matter but I just wanted it, okay? But what goes with a witch? A cat? But I couldn't find anything cat-ish that I liked. I finally came across this Bat costume and I fell in love! It had the same purple and orange from Lydia's costume and the costumes coordinated great. I ordered it immediately, even though it was more than we usually spend on costumes. (I mean, it was only $20, but we are more like "make up your own costumes for under $10 kind of people.) I justified by saying that I wouldn't dress up and that we didn't have to buy Lydia's costume anyway. I'm SO glad we did because they looked darling together. And, even though it didn't arrive until after we'd already left for David's work trick-or-treating, it was still worth it just for Saturday. 


Friday we went to David's office for their annual trick-or-treating. Austin really started figuring out the "pick a candy and put it into your bucker" but didn't quite grasp the "only take one then move on to the next cubicle". He kept pointing like "Hey, I know there's more candy in there, why are we leaving? I can just get more there." (Also, we borrowed a bat costume from a friend who saved the day. It was still cute and Austin was more focused on the candy than anything else.) 

Friday night David and I hosted a "How to Host a Murder Mystery" Dinner. We love them and our group was awesome. It was a Vampire themed game, which was fitting, although it got a little out there sometimes. It was fun to do some adult Halloween partying, too. 
(Peadens, Perkins, Gotfredsons, Middletons.)

(Two things: The Middleton's came early and just put Henry and Andi down to sleep. We let the kids eat and then decorate sugar cookies before bed. And 2: I loooooove these glasses and pull them out every fall/Halloween. We inherited them from David's Grandma McAllister and I loooooove them. Oh yeah. I already said that.) 

Then Saturday we started the day by visiting Grandma and Grandpa Peaden in West Jordan. Wendy and Sam were at a competition for Josh's Marching Band and their kids were staying with Cal and Sue. Melissa and Zachary came over to visit and so it was quite the party. We are lucky to have this family of ours. 


This was the first time Austin tried on his costume (remember, it didn't come in time for the EB party) and he wasn't sure. But as soon as we pulled out the candy he remembered exactly what he was supposed to do. 


That night my mom came down to spend the evening with us and so did Jenna and Kevin. There was also a special appearance by Matthew and his girlfriend Brooklyn. We got the kids ready and took them trick or treating around our neighborhood. I love our neighborhood, from about 5-7 there were kids everywhere. One of our neighbors even rigged his ranger/4wheeler thing up to a trailer stacked with haybales and gave kids a ride around the neighborhood. It's just a really young- really fun- place to live. Lydia liked it, but Austin loved it. He wasn't as fast as the other kids, but he'd always walk right up to the door, climb up on the little step, then knock on the door. He's actually really good at knocking, now. Camille was a Burrito, which was so cute and fun.  
 






After we finished with our little loop (which took up almost an hour probably) we ran over to the Perkins before they left to go trick or treating with their nieces and nephews. Derek is Lydia's nursery leader and Amy teaches nursery music. Lydia loves them both, but she has a special place in her heart for Derek. She calls him Brother Perkins and she pretty much adores him. 

We put the kids to bed then played games and ate delicious food. 
A wonderful Halloween if I do say so myself! 

No comments: