If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Provo City Center Temple

Today was the dedication of the Provo City Center temple and it was beautiful. We were able to attend the open house earlier this month as a family and the whole experience was just really neat. Lydia was so excited to be able to go into the temple and look at everything. I loved the way the designers/building planners had utilized all of the space and how they had carried the pioneer details throughout the building. It was incredible. The way they combined the historical beauty with the sheer magnitude of the modern architectural feats. (Hello, gutting the entire building, putting it on stilts, adding a massive amount of underground building and parking, and turning a pioneer tabernacle into a temple of the Lord complete with all necessary ordinance rooms and office/other rooms.) 

I think that all temples are beautiful and wonderful. But this temple is such a symbol of the atonement to me. Something that was so beloved, a tabernacle built by a group of people by hand as a place to worship their God, used for generations and loved by all. Then burned, ruined, by a terrible fire. I remember reading about the fire and feeling heartbroken. I never attended church there, but the loss of such a beautiful building so full of history is devastating. But the announcement that the Provo Tabernacle would be turned into a second temple in Provo brought so much joy and jubilation. I can scarcely believe it's true - even today. What a wonderful, kind, intelligent, loving, being our Lord is to create this opportunity. 

I feel that there is so much symbolism between us and our eternal potential. There is a poem that was written about the Tabernacle being rebuilt as a temple. I've included it at the end of this post because I love it. The last line reads: "If from the ashes God repurposed this building I see, How much more will He heal and re-purpose me?" 

-------------

When I was born in 1987. There were 41 temples in operation, the most recent being the Frankfurt Germany Temple dedicated in August of 1987. (When David was born, there were only 29 temples, the most recent being the Manilla Philippines Temple dedicated in September of 1984, with the number reaching to 30 with the dedication of the Dallas Texas Temple just a week and a half after David was born.) With the Provo City Center Temple dedication today there are now 150 temples in operation. What a miracle and a blessing that is. What an amazing time to be a follower of Christ and to belong to His church. When I think about how long and hard the saints worked for those first temples in the latter days it makes the number of temples built during my life seem almost unreal. 109 temples in my lifetime. (121 in David's lifetime.)  What a miracle. The work of the Lord is rolling forth and it's blessing lives all over the world.

The dedication was performed by Elder Oaks. We were able to attend the live streaming of the 9 o'clock session. I wish I had brought a pencil and paper, but I had thought that because it was a temple dedication that would be frowned upon. However, there were some beautiful truths shared about the connection between the temple and the atonement of Jesus Christ. 

I'm so grateful to have been able to attend this dedication with David. I feel especially blessed today as I reflect on the numerous dedications I've been able to be a part of via technology/broadcast. It's easy to take for granted because it's so much a part of life - but today, I feel a deep appreciation for temples and this time in history where temples are dotting the earth. I love the temple and am incredibly grateful for the temple blessings that bind me to my family and bring me closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. 



Because of the Fire
By Ryan M. Hawks
At the center of the busy, bustling town, 
The tabernacle sat silent with a solemn frown. 
Where poignant thoughts were once daily spoken, 
Had been ravaged by flames and left black and broken. 
As snowflakes fell on her chipped, charred facade, 
The edifice raised it's voice up to God. 
"How could you do this? Where did you go?
Why did you leave me damaged like so? 
"Through my doors came sinners who yearned to be whole, 
And here, troubled hearts found balm to their souls, 
"Once I echoed with music from the floor to each spire, 
But the echoes have faded because of the fire."

God gently replied, "Someday you'll see 
That I have a holier purpose for thee." 

Soon there came craftsman of every kind, 
Bearing the best that this world could find, 
To replace what was lost, and make them brand new, 
A transformation of which God only can do. 
A new foundation was poured, and they strengthened each wall, 
They rebuild the spire in the center tall. 
Sooted bricks were cleansed - each one deflawed
And repurposed to raise a temple of God. 
Where sinners turned saints still seek to be whole, 
And burdened hearts rest and find peace to their souls. 

The tabernacle-turned-temple now stands with a smile, 
Seeing the heartache was worth all the while. 
These words fill her rafters: "Now do you see?
Not once did I forsake or forget about thee. 
"In your darkest of hours, or blackest despair, 
I never left you - I was always still there. 
"I knew what you needed to reach even higher,
But I needed to first purify you with fire. 
"I give now to you this sweet, solemn task: 
Stir the hearts who come near with this question to ask: 

"If from the ashes God repurposed this building I see, 
How much more will He heal and re-purpose me?" 

No comments: