I'm not sure how to start this post. How do you say goodbye to someone that you love so dearly, even if you know that you'll see them again? It's hard. It's sad and hard and emotional. But not bitter. Because of Jesus Christ, death doesn't have to be bitter.
"And it shall come to pass that those that die in me shall not taste of death, for it shall be sweet unto them."(D&C 42:46)
I don't have any idea how present my Grandma was, but I hope that she was there and that she was able to hear all of the wonderful memories shared and to know, once and for all, how incredibly loved she is. I hope the day was sweet as she saw those that care so much for her celebrating her life and her influence on our lives.
The funeral was held at the Lyman Church and it was a beautiful, emotional day. I loved looking at all of the pictures of her throughout her life and was lucky enough to sit right next to a slide show of pictures during the luncheon after the funeral. It was such a sweet thing to see my Grandma doing her thing. Everything from posing with family and friends, to nursing a sick kitten back to health, to holding an Alaskan fish she caught herself. She was such an amazing woman. A special portion of the display showed my Grandmother on her wedding day (left), then a picture of her hugging me on my wedding day (right). I didn't know the picture was going to be included in the display and it was so special to see it. What a lovely bride, starting her future with her loving groom. I'm sure she couldn't even imagine all of the things that her life would be filled with, including the day that she hugged her granddaughter on her own wedding day, whispering words of love and encouragement. A very special thing for me - to connect me to her once again.
Did you know my Grandma was on the Price is Right? She loved the show and watched it religiously. She was a multi-generational Price is Right watcher and not only made it onto the show - she won the Showcase Showdown! One of the most notable things that she won was a hovercraft. A big boat/car that floats over land or water with the aid of a giant fan. Oh, the memories of riding that thing on the ranch. This picture has been on display at her house for... well... ever. (I'd say as long as I can remember, but I remember when she was on the Price is Right... but it was a long time ago!) It was fun to see it displayed. A fun part of an amazing life.
Right after the family prayer, but before we walked into the chapel for the funeral, we were all able to say goodbye. After we had filed through, my Grandpa leaned over my Grandma and I could see in that moment all the years of love and work and togetherness. He composed himself and said gruffly, "See ya down the road." Their road is still the same, and they will be together again. Even if it's hard to be without the one you love and have been with the vast majority of your life.
We drove to the Lyman Cemetery, right next to where my Grandma- and Grandpa-Great (Ellis Colvin Walker and Kimba Rollins Walker) are buried. My father performed the dedication of the grave and it was beautiful. But, it was so hard to just leave my grandma there. Hard to say goodbye.
My grandma loved flowers and she loved spring. When we first walked into the chapel, there were flowers all over the stand. So many beautiful arrangements. I know she would have loved it. The grandkids all chipped in to buy a wreath for her, with pinks and purples and the carnations that she loved.
Grandpa, Ellis Ramon Walker, and his four children: Marti, Susan, Wendy, and Scott.
Grandpa and my dad, Scott Walker.
----
It was Easter Weekend. The Saturday before Easter. I can think of no better time of the year to have a funeral of someone you love who has passed on than the time of the year that we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ and his victory over death. Oh, it is wonderful - wonderful to me.
----
Prior to the day of the funeral, I started thinking about how wonderful it would be to have an Easter Egg Hunt with all of the great grandkids. It's not often that everyone is together, and I had this picture of the grandkids out in the backyard playing and searching for eggs. I was a little worried about suggesting it because I didn't want to be inappropriate or inconsiderate, but I mentioned it to a few people and together we made it happen. It was perfect. I think that Grandma would have loved watching all of those kids run around enjoying the home that she loved so much. Everyone pitched in by bringing eggs, we split the backyard into big/little kid areas, and then we sent the dads outside to hide the eggs. The kids were so excited they could hardly stand it and it turned out pretty much exactly the way I pictured it in my head. The kids were searching and laughing, the parents were happily looking on, and Grandpa even spent some time watching the kids from the window with a smile on his face. I don't think it detracted from the day, rather it was a tribute to our grandma and her life and legacy.
I love looking at these pictures. My grandma and grandpa moved to this little plot of land when they were first married and lived there for almost 60 years together. During the funeral, Aunt Susan shared a memory of Grandma. Grandma loved the Bridger Valley so much. As they would drive from Evanston back home, and they would crest one of the large hills coming into the valley, Grandma would say "I love this valley, I feel like this is where I belong." And she did. She belonged here in the valley, here on this ranch. She loved it, and I love it, too.
We were asked to write down a few memories of Grandma. I have so many, but these were a few that I was able to type up. Memories of Grandma:
1-From a small age I was aware of how much pride Grandma took in feeding her family. I have memories of her working hard in the kitchen all day to feed the hordes of people who were out playing and working on the ranch, then setting the table (pulling two tables together and using a nice tablecloth to cover the whole thing), and eating together as a family. Whether it was Grandma's Macaroni for dinner or bologna sandwiches for lunch, she always made sure we had plenty to eat. I recognized this when I was younger (especially as a teenager), but I didn't really appreciate it until I became a mother myself. The incredible love that was behind the dedication to feeding her family was great. Even in her last months of life, she was always concerned about what people were going to eat, and wanted to make sure that we would all be taken care of. As I feed my family, I think about the example of my grandma and it strengthens my determination to continue her legacy.
2- We were visiting Grandma one day and somehow Lydia discovered that there were popsicles in the freezer. She wanted one, and I told her to ask Grandma. Grandma said that yes she could have one, but that she wanted one too. Lydia sat right by her chair and together they ate their bright red popsicles. Grandma with her hand twisted just right to support the popsicle stick and Lydia soaking in every moment of the special occasion. Often, she requests to eat a popsicle with Grandma again. I hadn't been planning on Grandma eating a popsicle with Lydia, I just thought that she would let Lydia have one. But I'm so grateful that she did because that picture is such a special memory to me. It was clear that she loved Lydia and that she loved popsicles, too. (I now know where I get it from!)
3- After David and I got married, Grandma reiterated several times that she was so glad to have gained another grandson, and that to her David was now just as much a grandson as any of her others. She always treated him that way and made him feel so accepted into our family.
4-Whenever I said goodbye to her, she would always express her love and tell me that I was a special lady, her special lady. I realize that she used that expression with many people, more than just me, but I always felt with 100% confidence that she truly thought I was a special lady. Those words and that phrase are near to my heart and identity and I will never think of her without also thinking of those words and the love behind them.
I love you, Grandma. You've taught me to love selflessly, you've taught me to be gracious in even the most unpleasant circumstances, you've taught me faith in the Lord and the importance of the gospel. You've taught me what it means to be family. I'm so grateful for the chains that bind us together through the blessings of the temple.
Eulogy
Verla Tingey Walker
May 3, 1937 – March 20, 2016
Verla Tingey Walker returned peacefully to her heavenly home surrounded by her loving family on March 20, 2016 in Ogden, Weber County, Utah. Verla was born on May 3, 1937 in Woodruff, Rich County, Utah. She was the oldest child of George Francis and Mary McKinnon Tingey. She was welcomed by her older half sister, Lou Jean. She grew up on the family ranch in Woodruff with her two sisters and two brothers. They learned how to work hard and play hard. She loved her horse “Ol Hick” and rode him every chance she could get. She graduated from High School in Randolph Utah as the Salutatorian and then attended 1 ½ years college at BYU Provo. She loved BYU and was an avid fan of BYU basket ball. She moved to Lyman and lived with her sister Lou Jean and her family and while working at Little America to earn money for her tuition. It was at Little America that she met and fell in love with a very handsome man, Ramon Walker who also worked there. She had promised her parents that she would go back to school so she did for one quarter but couldn’t stand to be away from her true love so she left school and married Ellis Ramon Walker June 7, 1957 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah. They moved on to the ranch where they have lived for 59 years and were blessed with 4 children. Verla loved working beside her husband on the ranch, working in the hayfield, taking care of animals. She could milk a cow as fast or faster than most. She was an excellent cook and would feed anyone who came to their home, she would help anyone in need. She was a wonderful wife, mother and grandmother.
Verla was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in which she held many callings including primary teacher, visiting teacher, Stake Young Women’s secretary, Primary secretary Primary President, Relief Society President.
She is survived by her husband Ramon of Lyman, children Susan (Roger) Rae of Bonney Lake, Washington, Wendy (John) Taylor, Marti (Kim) Walker both of Lyman, Scott (Lori) Walker of Morgan, Utah; 17 Grand children and 16 great grandchildren; Sisters LouJean Whittaker of Logan Utah, Shelia (Lynn) Gunn of Roy Utah; Brothers Fred (RaeOma) Tingey, Wes (Dorothy) Tingey both of Woodruff Utah; Numerous nieces and nephews who all love and adore her. She is preceded in death by her parents, 3 grandsons, Kyle Taylor, Samuel Taylor, Spencer Rae, 2 great grandsons, Gabreal Grisham, Dixon Rae. Our family would like to express heartfelt thanks to the staff of Best Home Health, McKay Dee Hospital and Crandall Funeral home, the many friends and family, and church members for their gentle loving care of our wife, mom and grandmother during her illness.
Funeral services will be held Saturday March 26th at 10:00 AM with a viewing from 9:00 – 9:45 am at the Lyman LDS Chapel in Lyman, WY. There will also be a viewing Friday March 25th from 6:00 – 8:00 pm at the Lyman LDS Chapel. Interment will follow the services at the Lyman Cemetery.

































2 comments:
So sorry for you loss. I am glad that we can find comfort in knowing that we will see our loved ones again.
This is such a beautiful tribute to your grandma. That is fabulous that she was on the Price is Right and won the Showcase Showdown!!! I also love your memories of the pride she took in feeding her family - feeding a family is no small task! And the popsicle memory is very sweet, too. Love to you and your family.
Post a Comment