If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, December 8, 2017

In memory of Joyce Bennion Peaden

Joyce Bennion Peaden was born on November 1, 1925. My dad grew up in Reno, Nevada, but I knew my grandparents when they lived in Prosser, Washington. Since they lived so far away, we only visited every few years and saw them when they came down occasionally. They were truly the salt of the earth type of people. At the graveside service, my dad talked about how they never took more than their share and they gave freely. I loved seeing them, but wish they had lived closer. 

My grandma was diabetic and it was amazing she lived so long. She took good care of herself and ate good food. She never really ate candy or anything, but in the last few year's she would have my Dad get chocolate chips at the grocery store. 

 Here are some recent pictures of her and the kids.

Grandma and Caleb.

Grandma and Austin. The kids loved riding in her walker. 

Lydia riding.


Grandma showing off her afghan.

Such a cute picture of Lydia and Grandma.

One thing I will remember most about my Grandma was her quilting. She was great and quilting and left to each grandchildren a beautiful quilt. I love the quilt that she gave us. 


She had a stroke and my parents let us know that she had very little time left. We had just seen her a few days before at Thanksgiving and she was her usual self and enjoyed seeing all of the grandchildren. We went to see her the very next day with the kids to say goodbye and missed her by just a few minutes. We went in and said goodbye anyway. 

I was fortunate to be able to take a few days off of work to be able to go to the graveside service in Reno to see her burial. I flew out in the morning and went straight to the cemetery. This picture does not do it justice, but it was a beautiful scene. The gravesite was on the edge of the cemetery on a hill that overlooked Reno and the Mountains in the distance. My dad talked about how this was a perfect spot because Grandma and Grandpa loved to go camping in the Mountains that you could see in from the hill. 


I was glad to be able to be with my Dad. We enjoyed talking about his parents and the legacy they left. One of the things that I value most in myself is my frugality and financial soundness. I believe that this came from my parents and that my dad gained this from my grandparents. I believe that is part of the legacy they have left. About 5 years ago after my grandpa died, my grandma decided to give some of her savings away. She knew she had more than enough to sustain herself and wanted to help her grandchildren. She gave each grandchild $10,000 hoping that this would help many who really needed it. Shantel and I used $5,000 to help us with our downpayment our our house. The other $5,000 we put in a savings account that is set aside for missions for our kids. In fact, it was the starting of that saving. We are grateful that one day we will have money to send our kids on missions and that the start of it came from my grandparents.


Here is my grandpa's grave, Richard N Peaden. He passed away in 2008.

Here are the three Peaden kids, Brian, Carolyn and Cal (my Dad).

I am grateful for the life of Joyce Peaden and Richard Peaden. I am grateful that they were faithful to the gospel of Jesus Christ and taught to their children. I am grateful that they were humble and kind. May god bless them for their service and their love.

Joyce Bennion Peaden: November 1, 1925- December 1, 2017

No comments: