If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Saturday, April 16, 2022

A Date, busy season & Fun

In my Easter post, I mentioned that David and I were able to go on a date to the Lamb of God with some friends. It was a lovely performance, and I loved being there with David. 



 I had asked my mom (last minute, she's the best) if she would watch the kids because we were going to be out late. She agreed, so I drove the kids to Morgan on Friday night and came back to pick them up Saturday morning. David had to work, but we were able to sneak in a morning date at Tangie's Cafe in AF. 


We have wanted to go to Tangie's Cafe since the first few months that we lived here in Lehi. It's right on American Fork main street and you drive past it on the way to the temple. They have kind of weird hours, especially for a young working couple (and then a couple with a brand new baby). Over the years, we've mentioned wanting to go there, but just never have. When we woke up that morning we realized we could squeeze in a morning breakfast date. As David was looking up options on his phone he mentioned Tangie's and I jumped on it! It ended up being perfect. A cowboy style cafe that spoke to Lehi's roots. It reminded me of the cafe in Lyman (a real cowboy cafe) or the little cafe in Ephraim growing up. It made me happy that it's survived through all the change it has surely seen. 

I've been reading a book about FUN and how making space for "fun" can help you create a healthier, happier, well-rounded life. Some of my fun factors include doing new things and doing spontaneous things. I sometimes try to substitute real fun with food, like "Look how much fun we're having, do you want an ice cream cone?" In that case, the food is not truly fun. However, I realized that I can get that same feeling of connectedness and happiness when we are spontaneously trying a new restaurant (that we've talked about for years). 

I had fun with David - he's my ultimate fun magnet and I'm grateful for this little bit of time we got to spend together in the busy-season-that-will-never-end-2022. He's been working so hard, and my last report from him was that there still isn't a light at the end of the tunnel, but maybe we are rounding the last big curve that you have to go around before you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So here's hoping for that because the kids and I are missing him and he's weary from working so much and so hard. 

The other night David got home from work late but Austin was still awake, and I told Austin that he would come in to snuggle him as soon as he changed. It took David a minute to change and when he went to Austin he was just sobbing in his bed because he was missing David so much. That's when I realized that although this is not MY hardest busy season (the kids are at good ages and we are keeping busy) it really is hard on the kids to not see their dad. We will all be glad when summer comes and we get to spend more time with this guy that we all love best. 

No comments: