If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, April 1, 2022

April Fools

Remember when it was St. Patricks Day and I wrote about how I try to approach holidays with a "simple and fun" attitude? You know... with a heavy dose of simple and just enough fun to add to the magic of childhood. Well April Fools is a favorite holiday, and I feel like it's escalating quickly because the kids have high expectations. It's turned into a "fun food" holiday, where each meal has something fun or "tricky" about it. Also, we love celebrating this with the Haderlies! 1- they make everything more fun and 2- then Jenna and I can share the "creative food" efforts 
Our menu this year: 
Breakfast- Eggs and Toast (yogurt, apricot half, grilled pound cake)
Lunch- Green Smoothies and Pretzels (I had them make a smoothie and then teased them that I was going to put spinach in it, and then I DID put spinach in it and they were appropriately horrified.) 
Dinner - Mini Chicken Pot Pies with a dessert of Chicken NOT Pies (pudding & candy shaped like peas and carrots in a dessert shell)

We haven't ever really done any pranks for the holiday, but this year - at about midnight the night before we decided to pull out the Christmas Tree and threw a couple of toys up for "decoration". We turned on Christmas music when the kids came downstairs and wished them all a Merry Christmas! It turned out to be a pretty good joke, although Austin did NOT appreciate it. 



We played one more "prank" by telling the Haderlies that they had to go home, packing their car up and waving goodbye to them. Then I told the kids I had to run an errand and needed them to come with me. We drove to the butterfly museum and the Haderlies were waiting to surprise us right inside the door. 



My last prank was for David. He has a coworker who recently bought a hairless cat from Russia and it's been a saga of an experience. (including smuggling the cat over the border) They are planning to take professional pictures of their cat and in my note I joked about starting a hairless cat photography business. I hung the picture by his bed and thought I was pretty hilarious. He said that he couldn't sleep with that picture next to his bed (a copy of a $400 painting "Hairless Cat with Butterflies"). 

All in all a pretty good April Fools. A little more emphasis on the fun magic side than the simple side this year, but that's okay. Happy April Fools!

No comments: