If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, September 23, 2022

Austin Scott: 8 Years

Austin Scott, our sweet-tempered, fire-loving, candy-eating, big-hearted, hard-working boy. How is it possible for you to be eight years old already? It seems like just yesterday we were holding you in our arms as a tiny baby soaking in the goodness of your spirit and knowing that you would bless our lives immensely. You DO bless our lives immensely. From the moment the clock turns 7:00 and we hear you jump out of bed and come running to our bed, you bring joy to our day. You play so well with your siblings and take such good care of your little sister. You clean and help with a willing heart (and only get frustrated when you feel like other people aren't helping as willingly as you do). You are smart and kind and in this moment I feel much as I did when I was holding you as a baby. I am grateful that I get to spend my days with you soaking in your goodness and I know that that you will bring so many joy in the future. 

Eight years old is a key milestone in a young life. Not only do you have the opportunity to be baptized, but it seems like everything changes from young-childhood to the next stage. Limbs lengthen, communication improves, questions start getting harder and more important. Austin is the best 8 year old and we are so glad to be on this journey through life with him. 


Some adventures with and things about Austin at this age: 

-Homeschool Rotations with our neighborhood friends resulted in a whole lot of fun science experiments that Austin loved. He's also SO strong and can do monkeybars like a champ and loves riding his bike. 

-We hiked the path to Timpanogos Cave four times this summer. To the 1/4 mark, to the 1/2 mark, to the 3/4 mark, and to the cave. This was one of my favorite summer activities and Austin really loved it, too. 

-Swimming! Austin is a great little swimmer and this summer he really grew in confidence and ability.

-Austin and Caleb both had Urology Surgery at the very beginning of the summer. It was a long time coming after having been put off (by us) for several months, then canceled repeatedly due to Covid-19. Austin handled the surgery day really well and had a quick and successful recovery. 
-These boys are great at helping me bring in our groceries from the porch (yay grocery delivery), and not only will they bring the food in, they will often help put it away. Equally as often they will stack all of the food into towers or mazes, ha. 

-We went hiking a lot this summer and camping several times. Austin got to explore Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Maple Canyon, American Fork Canyon, the Morgan M, the Summer Range in the Uinta Mountains, and many more! Sometimes I write these posts because I want to remember specific things about my kids at their ages. But sometimes I want to include every single picture of them so they can remember all the great things we did. It's a fine balance. I want to remember what a great adventurer Austin is at this age. I want Austin to look back and these pictures and remember how much his parents loved him and how much they loved spending time with him and how many adventures filled his childhood. 

Arches National Park 

Box Canyon-Maple Canyon, Sanpete County + Wild Rose Trail, Salt Lake 

1/2 way up the Timp Cave Trail.  

Morgan M + Stewart Falls, Provo Canyon


3/4 the way to Timpanogos Cave! 


Bryce Canyon National Park






4/4 Timpanogos Cave! We made it to the top! 

Other pictures from this age: 




Lagoon! 

Baseball (Austin loved this!)





Fireworks (paid for by Ausitn's own money for him to light on his own.) 


Harry Potter! We started reading the first book with Austin this July and it was such a delightful experience. Austin loved it and we loved sharing it with him. 


The Ranch with Granpa Great - Lyman Wyoming. 
End of Summer Cowabunga Bay celebration. 

Back to School! 






Birthday Week! 


Happy Birthday Austin-darling. We love you! 

No comments: