If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Lies

I am terrible at keeping secrets. I don't know that i've always been terrible at it- but I do know that I definitely am now. When I try to keep a secret, it starts welling up inside me until I feel like I'm going to burst and that anyone looking at me MUST know that I'm lying because they can see the secret trying to get out. And so, to try to cover my tracks I start making up more and more lies until I am rambling about things that don't even relate to the topic - trying to crowd out any thought that I might not be telling the truth. It is a sight-to-see, I can promise you that.

I tell you this now, because David's birthday is coming up next week! This weekend marks the start of his "Birthday Week." I love celebrating birthdays and I especially love celebrating David's birthday. However, the problems start as I start to buy him presents. I used to try to keep it a secret that I was going shopping from him and would make up all sorts of "I can't let you have the car today because I need to give my friend a ride somewhere. -- Oh, what friend? Just my friend that you don't know - that I know from school, but you shouldn't worry about it because you don't know her. And also I will probably have to fill up with gas so it might take me a while. And maybe I will go grocery shopping? Wait, you want to come with me? No, I think that I should go by myself - just like a little trip. Just for some makeup or something. Yeah some makeup. You don't want to come with me I promise." Whew. Doesn't that just make you feel out of breath reading it? Yeah - try making it up on the spot.

I've started to realize that I need to just not try to keep secrets from David. Hence the "Attention David: You are hereby officially OUTLAWED from this room. Sincerely, The Management" sign hanging on the door of our second bedroom. Instead of trying to hide the fact that I went shopping - I threatened to change the Mint password unless he promised not to check where i've been spending money and banished him from the room where I am storing his gifts until I can get them wrapped.

Even with those adjustments - I am so excited for the things that I am putting together for his birthday that I can barely stand it. Just don't ask me about them - because I can't tell you until after his birthday.

It's a secret.

(p.s. Does anyone feel me on this? Do you have some magic cure to stop turning into a pathological liar everytime a birthday rolls around? Maybe I should practice my "lying" face in the mirror.)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I just tell Mike that this is the wrong time of year to be asking such questions.

Kellie and Nick Fawcett said...

I am a great liar. I don't know how I got so good at it. The best part... I make my family think that I am a bad liar so they can "tell" when I am lying. ha. I am awesome.
However this post reminded me of when you were lying to your dad telling him I had braces and you kept going and going and he believed you!! Good times!!

Amy said...

I'm so with you. And I'm terrible at it :)

Jenna10 said...

Shanny, I am the worst at this! I do the same thing...I try to slide around without really telling a lie..and they ask for specifics then you have to make something up and they know that you are lying...if you find a cure pass it on!

Ashley said...

As I started reading this, all I could think was, "What?!?!?! Shantel doesn't lie. What is she talking about???" And then it made sense. And reading about the sign you hung on the second bedroom door made me happy. :)