If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, July 30, 2012

A Blessing

Lydia was blessed by her wonderful father on July 1, 2012. It was a wonderful day - full of love and support from family and friends. I was still recovering from my fever/headache-inducing, energy-sucking breast infection and so it was all thrown together pretty last minute. I am amazed at how well it all came together. A huge thanks goes out to Wendy and Sam for letting us use their house for the luncheon and to the many family members who were so willing to bring food and help things run so smoothly.

I was a little stressed out the morning of the blessing. I was busy making sure her dress was perfect, that her bracelet was on, that everyone knew how to get the the church (in time for our 8:30 am church), that all the invitations to be in the circle were issued. Even at the church I was focused on making sure to greet the people who were there, showing off my darling baby. But as soon as David took Lydia in his arms and I watched as she was encircled about by so many worthy priesthood holders, who love her so much, my whole outlook changed. I was humbled as I recognized that this... this priesthood ordinance was the reason. This was her first step on the road of discipleship. She is now recognized as Lydia Elise Peaden on the records of the church. She is known. I was overwhelmed with the responsibility that I have to help her along that path. I am filled with the desire to teach her about Jesus Christ and to fill her with the desire to serve and love and care for those around her.

I realize this might all sound dumb, it's hard to put into words exactly what I was feeling. But it changed my whole outlook. Instead of stressing about having enough food, or that there were too many people to fit in Wendy's house, I was filled with gratitude to be surrounded my so many people who were there to celebrate Lydia. Instead of worrying, I was filled the spirit of love and gratitude.

I didn't write down Lydias blessing as it was given. I had a notepad in the car - but I forgot to bring it in. But afterwards I did jot down the things that I remembered the most. Lydia was blessed with the following things: To be wise. The blessing of wisdom. To have a desire to study the scriptures that you might develop a testimony of them and that you might develop a relationship with Heavenly Father. To listen to your mother and follow her guidance.

It was a beautiful blessing and she looked so angelic in her long white dress. I'm still overwhelmed that I am blessed to be her mother.

Here are some pictures of the rest of the day:

Lydia was crying crying crying the whole morning before her blessing. I was a little concerned. 

The luncheon:







































Aubrey and her "baby Lydia"
 












5 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad that everything went well for her blessing. It looks like it was a really fun day. I'm so so sorry that we were unable to make it. We really wanted to be there. We thought about you guys all day. Just know that we were there in spirit. We love you guys lots.

Ashley said...

Is it sad that I love the very first picture in this post? Your face perfectly captures your concern. :) It was a beautiful blessing!

Timari said...

You two look so beautiful. What a special day!

Jeremy and Barbara Green said...

Lydia is so sweet! I am glad that the blessing day was so great. Keep posting! =)

Unknown said...

Looks like a wonderful day! She is so beautiful!