If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Lydia: 0-1 Months

I'm not super great at posts like these, and I had decided that I wasn't going to keep "monthly stats" on Lydia because I didn't want the stress of trying to keep up with the posts. However, after playing with Lydia for two months and seeing how much she has already changed, I decided that I really DO want to keep track of the things that she is doing at each stage. Because as much as I want to say that I will remember the darling things that she does - I know that I am already forgetting. So here are some thing that I want to remember about our first month with Lydia.

--Lydia was born at 7 lbs 3 oz, but when we left the hospital, she only weighed 6 lbs 8 oz. It was a large enough weight loss that the doctor wanted us to come in for a weight check two days later. We went in, and she was at 6-9. We weren't surprised because she was such a good little eater, but we were definitely pleased because any weight gain meant good things. (We also weren't too worried, because my milk didn't come in until the end of our first day at home. So to have her be gaining with only a couple of night feedings was great.)

--Lots of people would comment about how the first couple weeks are so nice because babies tend to sleep all day... But not our Lydia! From the very first day in the hospital she was super alert. She would just look around with her big eyes with the most beautiful look on her face. Like, she was so happy to be here and she just wanted to take it all in.

--I am amazed at how strong her little neck is. At two weeks, she was definitely starting to support her own head. I think that this has something to do with how alert she was... her muscles were already starting to develop.

--At Lydia's two week appointment she weighed 7 lbs 8 oz, so a total of one pound in two weeks. We were so proud.

--One of my favorite things to watch, is when stretching her little legs she would cross her ankles. We never got a really good picture of it, but it was the cutest thing.

--My favorite face the Lydia would make was when she would tighten her little lips into a little "o". This was usually done when she was looking around. Later I realized that this face almost always preceded her spitting up - but it took lots of times of me saying "Oh, look at how cute that little face is! I love it..." which was immediately followed by being spit up on to make the connection.

--Lydia doesn't like to sleep in her own bed. The first two weeks were spent sitting in our inherited rocking chair trying to sleep while holding her. After that, I couldn't sleep sitting up much longer and so I made a bed of blankets on the floor to sleep with her in. Because it was on the floor, it was a very solid surface and I wasn't as worried about her rolling down into me during the night. Luckily for me, Lydia is a champion side eater - meaning I can lay on my side with her laying next to me while she eats. This has been a lifesaver.

--One night when I was up in the middle of the night with Lydia - I had just changed her diaper. She was crying so I picked her up and walked to the sink to wash my hands. As soon I turned the water on, she immediately stopped crying. I thought --- "Hmm... this is great! Maybe I will wash the dishes." So I decided to put her in her little bouncer and set it on the kitchen counter while I did the dishes. While I was doing the dishes she slept on and off - but was content the whole time. When I finished up I thought "What else can I do with the water on?" So I packed her little bouncer up and moved it into the bathroom where I proceeded to take a much needed shower. She slept the entire time. It's really a miracle that we discovered it - but running water will calm her down almost instantly when she is crying! 

--Lydia is such a good baby. The whole first month of her life was spent on the go. We had some pretty big family events and it seems like as soon as she was big enough to venture out we were always packing up to go here or there. She was such a good traveler and loved to go places. I was helping a lot to get things ready for Jeff and Kaylee's wedding - so we spent a lot of time at the Peaden Homestead, helping Sue with things. I am grateful that she was such an easy baby. 

--I asked David what he remembers most about Lydia's first month, and he said "Umm....just off hand. Just how much I loved to hold her and have her fall asleep in my arms." Lydia and I are so lucky to have such a sweet man in our lives. 

To go along with these things that I want to remember - here are some pictures. I know that there are alot, but believe me - this is the narrowed down selection. 

Her newborn clothes were baggy on her - but she was a champ at holding in her binki.

Here you can see her almost crossing her legs as she stretches. 

Takin' a little nap with dad. 
In her bouncer.
She really hates tummy time. Hates, hates it. But the heart on her little bum was too cute to pass up.

She loves sleeping with her hands above her head. 

She also loves sleeping all sprawled out. Non of this "swaddling" thing. 

Sleepy baby. 

David caught this one afternoon when we were taking a nap. I love it because you can see how she loves to sleep with her arms above her head. 

Sprawled and sleeping. 

Sucking on her binki.

David is such a wonderful father. 

We saw this and thought it was so cute! "I love you"
I can't believe how much bigger she is in this photo than in the ones from when she was just born. But I love her darling little stick legs! 
 After I posted these pictures I realized that most of the photos I have of her are of when she was sleeping! I don't know why - probably because it was such a novelty to have her be sleeping that we would snap a picture.

We are so blessed to have this amazing little spirit in our home. We love her so much and can't wait to see her learn and grow.

We love you Lydia!

3 comments:

Lauren and Carter said...

I love the running water thing. :) How awesome.

big MAK said...

Such a cutie! I can't believe she is already two months!

Ashley said...

My theory about the sleeping pictures is that it's because it's so easy to take a picture when they're sleeping. :) Okay, there's probably more to it than that. I love all of the pictures!