If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

April Fools Day 2017

I'm not one for over-celebrating holidays, but I have some very cherished childhood memories of April Fool's Day. My parents did an incredible job of keeping things simple, but fun and memorable with pretty much every holiday and I want to keep those same traditions alive (especially the "making things special without going over the top part). 
Some of my favorite April Fools memories are: 
-Putting a rubber band around the sink sprayer in the kitchen so that if someone turned the water on they would get sprayed. (ha!) 
-My mom making funny food for us, like peanut-butter covered bananas that she said were hotdogs and yogurt with peach halves that she said were fried eggs. 
-Filling my dad's shower with all of our stuffed animals and thinking we were SO funny. 

This year I decided to do just a few food-tricks, because I mean... I had to feed my children anyway so I may as well just do a few little things to make it special. I didn't realize how much Lydia was going to LOVE it though. But she did, she loved it! She's at the perfect age for things like this because she's young enough to still get a little tricked, but old enough that she gets that it's a joke and she can appreciate it. 


Our food menu for the day: 
Breakfast- "Eggs and Sausage" (Vanilla yogurt with a peach half, and... sausage.) 
Lunch- Octopus and juice. (Hot dog on top of pasta, and jello in a cup.)
Dinner- Donuts and Trees. (Bagel thin sandwich with sprinkles, and broccoli.)







I asked Lydia about our April Fools Day food and she said: "Funny that you tricked me on every one!" She said she liked the breakfast one best because "it had sausage and a peach!" but I think that she really liked the octopus for lunch the very best. She looooved it. 

I love that I have the time and the means to do simple little things like this to make my kids feel special and hopefully fill their childhood with happy feelings. (There were plenty of times today that there were tantrums, and I wasn't as patient as I wish I had been and I hope that they don't remember those things, but rather they remember things like this and know how much I loved them.)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is so much fun! The perfect kind of April Fools joke! I want to be a mom like you when I grow up. ;)