If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Thursday, June 6, 2019

10 Year Anniversary Celebration

Ten years is a pretty big deal. Although we both recognized that this year was special, this wasn't really the greatest timing for an over-the-top, crème-de-la-crème, extravagant anniversary celebration. We recognized this and decided that we were going to keep things low key and not do much in the way of celebration - but that this didn't mean that we weren't incredibly happy and grateful to be together for the past ten years.

I have taught at our Level 2 training for the past 3 or 4 years and again I was teaching this year. But this year the dates fell on June 4-6, right on our anniversary. The conference was at Little America, but I was not planning to stay at the hotel because I obviously was not going to leave Shantel. Shantel decided that it would be fun to have us book a room and just bring everyone to stay for the one night of our anniversary. Then our friends the Middletons found out we were planning to bring everyone along and they volunteered to watch our kids for one night. We were excited and took advantage of a free hotel stay and had a date night after I finished presenting on the 2nd day.


Here we are in the hotel (room it was so huge and so nice). We even had a nice fruit tray with some chocolates. While I wish I could take credit, the fruit and chocolate just come as part of the room. It did make things feel extra special, though.



The view from the hotel balcony.




We went to the Salt Lake Temple and did sealings. It was so special to be in the Temple together on our anniversary. Having it be our 10 year anniversary made it feel even more impactful. Shantel had gone earlier in the afternoon while I was still training to do a session, then we met up to do sealings together. Kneeling across the alter knowing that we had made those promises to each other, and that we were still making those promises to each other every single day, was the best way to celebrate our marriage. We honestly did not do as much planning or "big" things for our anniversary this year. Not because it is not special, but because we had so many other things going on. However, I think that is what makes it special. Shantel treats me so wonderfully always, that I always feel loved. I am grateful for these 10 years and so excited for many more. We are planning to do a big 10 year trip and we are looking toward that.



After the Temple we went out to dinner and by the time we got back to the hotel it was pretty late. It was a really nice evening though. The next morning Shantel and I had breakfast together before I had to go back to the conference and Shantel left to pick up the kids. 



I am so grateful for Shantel. We really believe in enjoying each stage of life. As we step from one stage into another, I am grateful and excited to be doing it with her. I love her so much and she truly is my best friend. I save things all day that I want to talk to her about and I love coming home to talk to her. Seeing her fills my day with joy. Any time my phone beeps, I still just really want it to be a text or message or marco polo from her. I love her more today than even 10 years ago and I can't wait for all of our adventures to come. I love you, Shantel.

No comments: