If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

10 Year Anniversary

I'm back-posting this blog post (including the pictures) because as I was going through what blogs I needed/wanted to write I realized I never posted an official post about our 10 year anniversary. Even though this year our anniversary was pretty low-key and that we've been focused on other things - I feel like a 10 year anniversary deserves at least a blog post. 

It's hard to explain how grateful I am to be married to David. Most of the words come out sounding trite. Phrases like "best friend", "makes me laugh", or "best husband" don't do justice to the joy I feel when I think about David. Sometimes we talk about when we were dating and I start getting this panicky feeling inside- "What if?" "What if I had made the wrong choice and not married him!?" It seems silly, but the truth is - I had no idea then just how happy he would make me or what a good team we would make together. I knew I loved him, and I knew I wanted to be with him - but fast forward ten years and looking at this family we have built together I am just so grateful for this marriage of ours. 

A few fun facts about the past 10 years: 
-We've lived in 3 different homes (Logan, Lehi, Lehi)
-We've traveled to 15 states together.
-We've binged watched many a TV series, some of our favorites being: White Collar, Remington Steel, Star Trek Next Gen, Eureka, Psych, Scorpion.
-Our favorite entertainment of choice is now Hallmark channel, Food Network, and HGTV.
-Our go-to at-home date night is to pick up Arby's and Panda to eat after the kids are in bed and watch a show or just sit and talk. 
-Our current favorite joke to tell each other: When we are closing up the house for the night and the half-bathroom light is on, it looks like it's a door to the outside in daytime because of the kind of lightbulbs that are in there. So the joke goes: "Hey, do you need anything from the Portal before I turn it off?" or some variation of that. It looks like a portal to another world and it's hilarious every time (which is basically every night). So when I say I'm grateful for David's sense of humor - I mostly mean that I'm grateful that we have the same sense of humor! 
-Sometimes when it's late and we're supposed to go to bed, we just lay in the dark and talk for another hour or so. We both know we will be tired the next day, but it's worth it for those few more minutes to just talk to each other. 
-We say that we love to just be together, even if that means that we're both just out working in the yard (which is a big deal, because neither of us particularly like yardwork). 


These past ten years have had their share of tears - but there has always been enough peace and happiness to balance the tears out. 

We've had hard work and we've had spontaneous adventures. 

We've brought four tiny spirits into our home to love and teach. 

We balance each other out and work as a team to accomplish all the things. 


David, we're not going on any fancy cruise or traveling aborad to celebrate. But the size of the celebration doesn't matter. (There wouldn't be a celebration big enough to fully capture the full extent of joy anyway.) I'm grateful to be married to you. I'm grateful for the way you treat me, the way you treat our kids. I'm grateful for the corny jokes and the way we laugh-cringe at cheesy hallmark movies. 

I'm grateful for your example of hard work and of faith. 

I love you. And in the long-scheme of things 10 years doesn't seem like very much. In 30 and 40 years, we will look back at these pictures and think that we are still babies. But I'm grateful for these past ten years with you and I want you to know how much happiness you bring to me every single day.

No comments: