If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Sunday, November 8, 2020

COVID-19 Update: October and November

Oh how time flies in a pandemic (It's a joke). But- I did completely miss the October Pandemic update. It was more due to a busy work schedule. So here you get a two month pandemic update. 

I think the best description of things right now is captured in the last week of COVID-19 case count headlines. Thursday (2,807) and Friday (2,987) both set record highs for new cases in Utah. Governor Herbert called it "discouraging" and has had to call emergency meetings to try and address the issue. The spread has been dramatic over the last two months. It primarily has come from different family and friend groups spreading it to each other. The governor has called on us not to have groups larger than 10 people and to avoid contact with those outside our own immediate household. The large majority of Utahn's are acting as if COVID-19 is over. People wear masks to the store, but they continue to do Jr. Jazz, football games and family activities. For the most part, people are not willing to make the changes necessary to slow COVID-19 in Utah. Utah has become one of the 5 worst hotspots in the country. Our hospitals are nearing capacity and that is before the expected hospitalizations from the significant cases over the last 10 days. Worse, is that we do not have adequate health care workers to treat all the patients. I'm disappointed in our state. We should be more willing to do better. 

The country as a whole is not doing well either. Here are the numbers. 


Yesterday had a record high 127,067 cases nationwide. Total cases now top 10 million. 

There are 424 patients currently hospitalized with COVID-19 in Utah. The rate of positive tests in Utah has steadily grown and the 7 day average now exceeds 20%. 




As noted below. Utah has one of the highest rates of cases per 100,000 people right now. 

There are still hopes for a vaccine, however, as of yet, there is nothing certain. For a long time people talked about just getting through 2020 and that 2021 would be so much better. I think people are starting to realize that in terms of COVID-19 and getting back to normal, 2021 is not likely to improve. 

Amidst this dire news I am so grateful for our Heavenly Father who has watched over and blessed our family. We have had the blessing of a mother who is willing to homeschool our children. We have the food we need and the money to pay for things. I have been really blessed in my work. Our kids are growing spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally and are THRIVING. 

We have been missing my parents and have made a plan to fully quarantine from December 6-December 20th so that we will be able to spend Christmas at their house. 

Okay- a few pictures as well to see what COVID life is like. (Which is mostly just any picture we take at home since we don't really leave much.)

One week Lydia and Austin decided to set up church in the basement with rows of seating and everything. 



At Lucy's eye checkup (we'll do that in a separate post). 

Shantel at the doctor with Caleb (also, a separate post). 

Us with the new church schedule. Starting after general conference we moved to an every other week schedule. One week we attend sacrament in person and then have zoom relief society or Sunday school classes. The next week we watch Sacrament meeting on TV (and do the sacrament at home) and then do zoom Sunday school and relief society classes. We are still adjusting. I love still being able to do the sacrament at home every other week. 


Shantel on a rare trip out with the kids. 



Watching Stake Conference at home. 

I am so grateful for Shantel and our kids. I can't imagine a better life than being with them. At times, it is discouraging to see how things are going. It is discouraging that we can't do all the things we want or would normally do. Shantel and I decided not to enroll Lydia and Austin in Jr. Jazz (which I am bummed about), we can't go to the park, and there are a million other things we can't do right now. But we can continue to have faith and pray to our Heavenly Father who I know hears us and loves us. 

No comments: