December 23rd is my Grandpa Walker's birthday. He turned 85 this year and man, I love him so much. He's funny and kind and hardworking. He has lived a lot of life experiences and he's better because of them. This picture was taken just this year. My Uncle Marti (my dad's brother) got family pictures taken with their kids and grandkids and invited my grandpa to come with them. I'm so grateful because this picture is such a treasure.
A story about this jacket. My sister asked where he had gotten such a stylish cardigan/blazer and my dad told us this story:
"So that white coat that Grandpa is wearing "Ellis Ramon Walker" in the picture with Marti and Kim's family. He wore it down to his birthday party and he was telling us: I said, "Dad, you've had that coat for ever." He said "Well, I've had this coat longer than I've known your mother. Well... that's probably not true. My mom and dad gave me this coat in the Christmas of 1956, the year after I got home from the Army. I met your mother that year, so I've had it as long as I've known her and longer than we've been married." My dad continued, "I remember him wearing that coat just my whole life. It's still in amazing shape, especially for being a white coat, if you look at it- it still looks great. He still wears it, it still fits him. He still loves it. It was a really cool story to hear him talk about it."
When my grandpa turned 80 years old, my dad and his siblings threw him a big community birthday celebration. It was well done and well attended. Obviously, this year there can't be any big gatherings - even a gathering of just all of the family members would be too big. Instead, my Aunt Susan decided to put together a big zoom birthday party for him. All of his kids (my parents, aunts, and uncles) were there in person and all of the grandkids videoed in. It was really neat to be there with all of my extended family. We ranged all over, from Washington, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Florida and the country of Jordan (my cousin Wayne is serving in the military in the Middle East - I almost burst into sobs each time one of his kids would try to get his attention on the zoom call.)
Technically our Walker heritage comes from Scotland, where we could have been part of a Walker clan. But herd makes much more sense in these circumstances. Ha.








No comments:
Post a Comment