If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

May Wrap Up

Here are a few other favorite pictures from this month. 

A cute picture of Lydia and Shantel. 

Amy and Kevin both came over to celebrate Lydia's birthday. 

Shantel and Austin got to go to an Activity Day's activity together. 

Mothers Day

For Christmas Shantel gave me a popcorn taste off challenge kit and we decided to do it all together as a family on Mothers Day. We had such a great time, first of all because we love popcorn and also because it was so fun to do it together and try to pick the one with the best logo, taste, texture etc. We also expended it and did a lemon-lime soda taste off. I had recently seen a commercial for "Starry" and thought the commercial was not great and could not imagine why anyone would try to make another lemon lime soda when Sprite has got it clearly covered. However, Sprite is owned by Coke and Starry is owned by Pepsi, so they were just trying to get into the market. I told Shantel I could not imagine why anyone would ever buy Starry. She surprised me by buying Starry and making us do a test off. 




The popcorn results were quite clear, Act II Extra Butter was the winning popcorn, which should come as no surprise since that is what we buy, but it really is the best. The lemon lime soda taste off was less conclusive. I could not tell the difference in a blind taste test. However, Shantel claimed she could and that Starry was clearly the best, but she might have just been trying to poke fun at me a bit. Needless to say, I'm sticking with Sprite and 7 up and won't be buying any more Starry. 

Last fall we got desperate and ripped out a large chunk of grass that had been infested with a fescue type grass and we also bought planter boxes. Finally in May we ordered dirt for the garden boxes and extra for the spot that we need to put in new grass. It was a lot of work to haul the dirt back and into the boxes. I was really busy with work, so Shantel stepped and did most of it all on her own and got the boxes all filled and she was awesome. 

We were even able to start planting and got Strawberry plants in (among other things), yay!

Egg prices had skyrocketed for the past year, and for 5 dozen it was often, $16-18 or even as high as $22 for 5 dozen. We had definitely been cutting back on our egg consumption. When I was in Sam's club the other day, I looked and they had finally dropped back down to about $10 for 5 dozen and it was so awesome that I had to take this picture and send it to Shantel. We can finally eat eggs for breakfast again!

Haircuts for the kids, which means they get a haircutting show to watch while they do it. 

We've changed up the way we do family economy for the summer and we'll see how it goes. Instead of each child getting up to their age in dollars each week (depending on if they do their family economy each day), we are doing a new system where they finish a "bucket" of things each day with the expectation that everyone does their bucket (which includes similar tasks and chores as we had in the past. However, we take the money we were paying and now we pay it once a month to the entire family. Then the kids can decide how they want to spend it (for example, on a trip to the provo rec center for the family or a Little Caesars pizza and movie night. Or they might choose to get some individual money so they can buy something specific for themselves. We'll see how it works this summer. 

Kids having fun. 

Lastly, I could not leave this picture out. This is what it looks like when you have a 4 year old who constantly needs you. Shantel or I (I can't remember which), snapped this photo of Lucy sticking her hand under the door while once of us used the bathroom. She could not even give us 2 minutes break to use the bathroom without desperately needing us. As I think about, that's okay and I love it. I'm grateful that we have our kids and that they love us and we love them and I hope that Lucy will always want to come and be with us. 

No comments: