If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, April 22, 2024

Austin Science Fair

Hi, my name is Austin Peaden. I wanted to try seeing if the popping method made a difference in the volume of the popcorn.


We have made popcorn at home before and noticed that the brown paper bag cooked the popcorn differently than on the stove. I wanted to know the best way to make the fluffiest popcorn and decided that measuring the volume was the best way to test that.

First I did some research,

I learned that there is a little water inside the popcorn kernel. When you heat the kernel up, the water turns into steam which gets bigger and bigger until it pops out of the shell.

I tested 4 different ways to pop popcorn to see if the way we cooked it changes the volume. We used ½ cup kernels each time and gathered data on the outcome.


My hypothesis was right. I thought the air popper would work the best and it did. The popcorn kernels were fluffier and bigger and had the largest volume. They were perfectly golden-yellow and had the least unpopped kernels.

The microwave was harder to make sure the popcorn didn’t burn.

The stovetop popped really good but the kernels were smaller and denser. Because we cooked the kernels in oil, they ended up weighing almost twice as much.

I loved this project, it was so fun and we got to eat a LOT of popcorn afterwards.



No comments: