If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Monday, April 22, 2024

Lydia Science Fair

Hi, I’m Lydia. My science project this year is called “rainbow density”. 



Did you know density is not just weight? I didn't know that until this experiment! I didn't want my project to be something easy, or something I already knew the answer to. I had a couple ideas about density projects, so my mom gave a density challenge. It was pretty fun. 

I was challenged to make a density rainbow. I had 11 different materials.i had 3 research attempts. After my third one, I had to use my knowledge from my research attempts to create a 5 layer density rainbow. I did get to use food coloring, but I couldn't use it in any of my oils, or darker colored liquids. I almost succeeded, but my green sort of fought and won a battle with my yellow. I couldn't really count the blackish puddle in the middle of the cup. 

So my conclusion is it might be possible with more attempts, or more materials, but i was unable to make a color accurate density rainbow in a cup. 

As part of the challenge I also got to do two side experiments, involving ice cubes and grapes. (what city has the largest population? Den- city! ) they are on the bottom of my poster board, for the first one I had a cup layered less dense to more dense: vegetable oil, water, maple syrup. I had to make a hypothesis of where the following objects wound land in the cup. 

The items were,( pick up as said)an ice cube,a small piece of cardboard, a screw, and a grape. I had to make a hypothesis and when I tested it the ice cube floated on top, the cardboard floated just above the water( we think it soaked in oil), the nail went straight to the bottom of the cup and the grape bounced just above the syrup. Some of my hypotheses were right but not all of them. You can see details on my board after the presentation. 

For the second experiment I had to try to make another density rainbow but this time it was with colored water. I used salt to try to increase the density of the water. It was blue then a line of green and then pretty much black maybe really dark green to the top and then there was a maybe red layer that if it was there it was very, very, thin.

My project was fun and I learned a lot about density( and hopefully you did too)() I have had a lot of fun with this project. Any questions?

Rubbing Alcohol

Juice Cocktail

Cream Soda

Corn Syrup

Honey


No comments: