If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Blogging and Preschool and... Nothing

I have so many half written blog posts in my head. I'll be doing something, like washing the dishes, and I'll start composing a post about a certain topic. I'll remind myself to file it away for when I finally have the time to sit down and post, but inevitably- when I open up my computer with the intent to blog - my mind goes blank and I can't think of a single thing to say. 

I'm sitting here wracking my brain for the hilarious post I was thinking up yesterday while doing laundry. Or the thoughtful and sincere post I started thinking of while driving to see my grandma and grandpa last week. Or even the bulleted list I had started about things that have been going on recently. But I've got nothing more that bits and pieces and can't figure out how to formulate it all into words. 

*sigh*

Lydia is at preschool right now. I haven't posted about it yet (because I basically haven't posted anything recently), but we are really enjoying the experience. When people started asking me last March where I was putting Lydia in preschool, I would get this deer in the headlights look and answer "She's two!" I hadn't even thought about it one. single. second. But apparently you have to start registering your two year old for preschool in March because she's going to turn three in May, and if you wait until August to look for a preschool you're done for. I almost immediately knew that I didn't want to put her in a real preschool. Friends, do you know how much preschool costs? A lot. And I just am not ready to send her off to preschool yet. Luckily I was able to get a group of other moms together who have kids the same age and who feel the same way. We set up a little preschool co-op and take turns teaching a Tuesday/Thursday set. It's been wonderful. Lydia gets to socialize with other kids, learn a little bit about letters, and have fun with some interesting themes. She likes it most of the time, and I'm so glad that it's worked out so well. 

{Preschool 2015}

An hour and a half isn't a very long time (in fact I only have a half hour before I need to run and get her) but I've started to think that this is the time that I'll set aside for my blogging. I miss it. I want to do it. (I just need to jot down my blog post ideas on paper instead of leaving them in my head.) I think I posted this before, but an author that I really like was giving a presentation about her books and when asked about how she finds time to write she said something to the effect of, "You've got to take the time for the things that matter to you. No one is going to give you the time." I think about this quote all the time. It's different than "making" the time, because let's be honest, you can't make time. If I could make all sorts of extra time, I would totally do it. Rather, you have to take the time. That means taking the time that you would have been giving to something else. Sometimes this means taking the time from mindless facebook scrolling and giving it to my children. Sometimes this means taking the time from cleaning my kitchen and instead giving it to myself so that I can sit down and blog. I'm in charge of where I allocate my time, but sometimes it's hard to take the time from one thing and give it to another. I'm working on making sure that I take the time for the things that matter to me because it's true that no one is going to come knock on my door and give it to me. 

And so, here is a lame blog post about nothing at all. I'm tempted to just delete it and try again later. But I'll post it and hope that getting this out of the way lets my creative juices start flowing and maybe I'll try to post again this afternoon. 

Because it's 10:54 and I'm off to pick Lydia up from preschool. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your blog - is that weird? And I totally get the "taking time" thing. I have actually been trying really hard to use the mindless facebook time in better ways (blogging, reading conference talks...) I still have a long ways to go but I am trying. Also, I love that you have a preschool co-op! This is such a great thing! Lydia looks darling standing at the door and the socialization is invaluable! Because I taught preschool for a few years, I am a total advocate for any type of preschool! It's so important (and doesn't have to cost a fortune).
... I can't believe how long this comment is! Ha! Have a geeat day and I will be looking forward to more posts :)