David has a client in Phoenix, AZ and each year he goes down there for a week to work his auditing magic. This year, he was going to be gone over my birthday. I wasn't thrilled about that and said that I was coming with him (and I was bringing our kids). I say that almost every time he has to travel for work, but this time we started talking about it seriously. Then we mentioned it to David's parents, and they hopped on the bandwagon and decided to come with us. (Sue is from Phoenix, Cal served his mission in that area, and they were married in the Mesa Temple- but they haven't been back since they were married!) We rented a mini-van and all drove down together. We were gone for 10 days, leaving on a Friday and returning the following Sunday - because David had to work M-F and he wanted to be able to do some fun things, too. We had a great time, although it would have been 100 times better if David hadn't had to work. (I kept having to remind myself that him working was the reason we were there in the first place and it paid for our hotel stay.)
Note: I got ready to blog about our trip and realized that there was no way it was going to fit into one post, so I'm going to have to break it up into several posts, but I'll arrange them so when we print our blog book at the end of the year it will all read in chronological order.
And so, here is the rundown of our super-awesome road-trip to Phoenix:
Part I: The Grand Canyon
It's about a 10 hour drive to Phoenix, so we decided to do it over two days. We left on a Friday afternoon, stayed in a random hotel that night somewhere along the road then hit the Grand Canyon on Saturday before driving the rest of the way to Phoenix. We'd never been to the Grand Canyon before and were really excited! We went to the visitors center, then rode on their shuttle bus to a couple of different viewing spots along the rim.
Some things to remember: Austin learning to walk and wanting to practice all over the place, Lydia having almost no interest in the actual canyon but just wanting to climb all over the rocks, looking at the Cacti, baby wearing both of our kids, being together as a family.
It was a great experience and even though we were only there for a couple of hours we had a nice time. It would be fun to go back when the kids are a little older and we can stay a little longer.





























No comments:
Post a Comment