If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Lucy Holland: 5-6 Months

Oh Lucy Holland. You're six months old now and you're truly a joy. Can it already be six months since you've joined our family? Can it only be six months since you've joined our family??? This month we celebrated your first Thanksgiving and your first Christmas is right around the corner! You're at the perfect age to experience these holidays for the first time and we have been loving experiencing them right along with you. 


Official Stats: 
Weight- 14 lbs 12.5 oz (23%)
Length- 26 in. (53%)
Head Circ- 43.5 cm (83%)

Other Stats: No teeth, slight peach fuzz hair that sometimes looks like it might end up being strawberry blonde, size 2 diapers, size 6 month (3-6 month) clothes, but will very shortly be in 9 month clothes. 


Things to remember: 

-She's just as loved by her siblings as she ever has been. Even more. Now she's getting a little bigger and tougher they love to hold her and put her in special "beds" and things. Lydia especially loves to carry her around and is constantly loving on her and treating her like she's her own personal baby doll.  



-We've been working on our basement quite a bit over the past several months and Lucy has been such a champ through it all. From laying in the rocker watching us frame walls in the basement, to hanging out with Grandma Peaden upstairs while David and I both work in the basement with Bruce and Grandpa Peaden to crying herself to sleep in the swing while David and I are installing insulation in the walls and ceiling the night before the inspector comes. She's been a trooper.









-You aren't rolling, but that's okay. 





-Lucy's first Thanksgiving! She ate sweet potatoes and squash (baby food puree) because it felt very thanksgiving-y. I love when babies are old enough to eat something at their first Thanksgiving.


-You've started to sit up! It's been SO much fun to watch you reach this milestone. You're getting so strong and I LOVE how happy and content you are now that you can sit up and have a better view of the world around you.


-We're finding a good balance in our routine. The holidays are always extra busy, but I can feel us turning a corner. Lucy is getting easier (everything is easier when babies start sitting up!)

Homeschool with Lydia. 
This is the true gift of homeschooling. Lydia working on her schoolwork while snuggling with her sister. Every minute that they have been able to spend together has been worth its weight in gold and I'm so grateful for that relationship that they are building. Lucy loves being held by Lydia and it makes it so I can get extra things done, too. 

The Renchers made our family a wooden manger for Christmas and Lydia's favorite pastime is to put Lucy in the manger. Lucy tolerates it. 

-We went on a field trip to the Christkindl Market. I forgot the baby carrier in the car but I just zipped Lucy up in my coat when she decided she didn't want to be in her seat in the stroller anymore. I'm grateful for babies that let me continue to go out and about. To see new things. To adventure with my kids. Sometimes my mom is like "How do you still do all of these things??? When I had babies, we never left the house!" But the thought of that makes me cringe inside. I love going on "adventures" and I love experiencing new things with my kids. And I love that Lucy is such a great little adventurer already. 


-Amy came to babysit her while we went to David's work party- her first real babysitter for an extended period of time. She did great!  

-Austin has a speech class each week and I bring Lucy. She usually just sits in her carseat and sleeps, but now she's getting older she spends her time looking around. Rarely do I get her out of her carseat, but I've just been so grateful that she's willing to quietly hang out for the half hour while Austin gets the help he needs. 

-It's really time for us to sleep train, but our crib is stuck under piles of things from our storage room and a dozen other reasons that I'm procrastinating it. She sleeps in her pack and play most of the night, waking up several times, nursing her in the chair a couple of time, then putting her back in her bed. But if I wake up and it's after 5 a.m. I just bring her into bed with me. She sleeps with me in bed snuggled next to me under the covers. She fits so perfectly next to me with her feet resting on my legs curled around her. She's probably my last baby and I'm trying to memorize the feel of her tiny feet tapping against me as she falls back to sleep. Also, the




-That increased head strength means that you've enjoyed your bouncer more this month, too, which has been a win for all of us. 

Real Food!
We usually wait until about 6 months to start solids, but she's recently been very interested and she's loved everything that we've fed her. We're pretty big fans of baby led weaning and she's into it! 


My good friend Tami has been coming to church with us and sits by us during Sacrament Meeting. A couple of times David has had things with his calling that he's had to do while I was teaching Sunday School and Tami was kind enough to hold her for me. We call her Auntie Tami. 

-Spending time with Grandma Peaden on our Tuesday afternoons in West Jordan. I'm just so grateful that she's been able to have SO much time with her Grandparents. She's a blessed little baby. 


We go back to the Ophthalmologist next week to get an official diagnosis on Lucy's eyes. I'm no trained expert, but I KNOW that she has made incredible progress with her eyesight. It's been a miracle. There can be no other explanation and I'm hopeful and terrified for our followup appointment. But truly, in the past 3 months, she's gone from not tracking at all - to fairly stable focus. I'm not always sure how well she can see, but I know that she can see and that's been so amazing. Such an incredible blessing in our family. She brings light and love we are so grateful to have her in our family. 

I can't wait to celebrate Christmas with you, sweet baby!

No comments: