Six and a half, you handsome boy. Your brain is constantly full of interesting thoughts and ideas. You are kind hearted and you love your siblings. You're smart and funny and the best 6.5 year old we know.
Stats: 5T clothes. Getting taller and stronger every single day. His hair stands on end every single day unless much effort is put into gelling it down, so usually, we just let it fly.
He loves his siblings and his cousins.
He doesn't particularly enjoy painting, but I always love what he creates.
He does love the mountains and being in nature. When I recently asked him what he loves most about hikes he told me "I like when my legs get tired because it means I'm growing bigger muscles."
One of his favorite things to do is ride his bike. We got him a new bike at the end of the season last year and I'm so glad we did. It was a little too big for him then, but he's growing into it and he loves it so much. It was so nice to have ready for him when we've been able to get out and ride bikes this spring.
Waterballoons and fireworks. Austin got it into his head that waterballoons were just like fireworks. In October, Cornbellys does fireworks each Friday night at 8:00. Austin saved up his money to buy a bunch of waterballoons and specifically requested to have a firework and water balloon party. It was silly, but all the kids were so happy.
More pictures from the past six months: Gardner Village, Halloween.
Halloween, helping to hang Christmas lights.
100 day math lesson (including 100 sprinkles), Austin and Lucy
Why do kids love styrofoam so much? It's so fun but SO messy.
Austin loves games and we try to incorporate a good amount of games into our homeschool. We were playing the game "I Sea 10" about adding numbers up to ten. At the end of the game, I told him to count how many pogs he had collected. He counted them individually, then unprompted - he started adding the numbers on top of each pog together. (They have numbers 1-9 on them). He counted each one, adding it to the total, all the way to 88. I was impressed with his motivation and his addition skills.
Austin's happy personality.
Christmas with our favorite 6 year old.
Bikes and St. Patricks Day.


Austin participated in our homeschool co-op's Science Fair. He planned and prepared a project titled "Mrs. Peter's Birthday Cake." Austin decided he wanted his project to be based off the book "The Seven Silly Eaters." (If you haven't read this book, you should. It's one of our favorites. A little silly with a happy ending.) He wanted to know if you could really make the cake using the process from the book. He decided to do the experiment two times. The first time we would do exactly what they did in the book (dumping each ingredient into the next), the second time we would use the same ingredients but use a different process to make them.
The first cake was a disaster. Even after baking for almost 3 hours it was still gooey and gross. The second cake turned out pretty good, but still wasn't exactly like Mrs. Peters birthday cake and so Austin's conclusion was that you can NOT make Mrs. Peter's birthday cake.
He prepared a poster (with help from mom) and wrote a presentation that he then gave in front of a group of his peers and their parents.
He did a wonderful job and I'm proud of his effort.


We celebrated his half birthday with some Nothing Bundt Cake, as per tradition.
Austin, you're learning and growing every day. Homeschool has been the best thing I could imagine for you and I am grateful for your happy personality and the light you bring to our family.


No comments:
Post a Comment