This summer I really wanted to hike the Timpanogos Cave Trail every week. Looking back, I can't remember exactly why it felt so important to me - but it was. I knew that it would be a sacrifice on both my part and David's part but it was a goal that I really wanted to accomplish.
I did it and I feel so happy and accomplished. A little about the Timpanogos Cave:
Timpanogos Cave National Monument is located in American Fork Canyon in Utah’s Wasatch Range. It’s home to an extensive cave system that’s made up of three linked and spectacularly decorated caverns. Helictites, stalactites, stalagmites, calcite crusts, draperies, and frostwork are just a few of the many dazzling formations found in the chambers of one of the most popular caves in Utah.The only access to the cave system is by walking a strenuous 1 1/2-mile-paved trail, which rises 1,092 ft to an elevation of 6,730 feet above sea level.
The cave trail is steep but beautiful. I made this goal with my friend Dani Martin whom I met through Spark Coop and we would meet up together at 6:30 a.m. to hike to the top. We tried to go every Thursday, for consistency, but made it at least once a week. There is a whole community of trail hikers who hike this every week (many every day!) and it was really neat to be a part of that this summer.
It turned into a highlight of my summer and I wanted to document the success of accomplishing my goal.
May 18 (TCH-1)
Trail was closed at 1/4 gate because of snow. So we hiked the first stretch twice, clocking 1.75 miles. (+1) Beautiful spring morning with a slight chill in the air. (Dani not pictured)
May 25 (TCH-2)
Trail still closed at 1/4 gate because of snow, but we passed some rangers with tractor-type equipment on our last lap and I wonder if it will be clear next week. We hiked the first 1:4 stretch three times, clocking 2.5 miles. There were more people on the trail and lots of cheerful “good mornings”. We talked about budgets and at the end we took a minute to pause and breathe in the crisp air and listen to the rushing river nearby.


June 1 (TCH-3)
Rangers said the gate won’t be open past 1/4 until the end of June so we pushed ourselves to get four laps in for a total of 3.5 miles. Strengthening bodies and friendship and feeling so good about it.
June 9 (TCH-4)
Four laps to the 1/4 gate- for a total of 3.5 miles. Jenna joined us today and the three of us made a great little train up the mountain. Our picture taking spot is filling in with leaves and made the focus of our pictures blurry- but that’s okay, documentation accomplished.
June 15 (TCH-5)
Three 1/4 laps for a “rest day”. The trail is getting more and more busy- but we are recognizing a lot of people who hike regularly (either every day, or every Thursday like us). It’s neat to be part of a community of hikers. 🏔️
June 20 (TCH- 6)
This was the first week that the trail was open. Our prep on the 1/4 trail must have really worked because we made it all the way to the top in our 45up/30down time frame. It was a little rainy but that made for a crisp, fresh hike and was only a little slippery. Such a beautiful morning!
Time- 1:19
Dist- 3.01 miles
Time- 1:19
Dist- 3.01 miles
June 29 (TCH-7)
Dani and I crushed it today with our time: 40 up, 31 down, 2.95 miles. I have loved spending a morning each week in the mountains. 🏔️ Today we met a trail legend: Dwayne. He’s at least 70 and hikes the trail regularly. He makes a different set of bracelets each year and hands them out to people on the trail. He gave us each a bracelet and another person on the trail showed us her set of 6-8 that she’s collected over the years. It’s fun to be a part of the TCH community.
July 8 (TCH-8)
Dani and I weren't able to coordinate our schedules this week, so I convinced David to hike the trail with me on our date night. It was MUCH hotter because we were hiking in the late afternoon instead of the early morning, but we brought a lot of water and worried more about enjoying the hike together than rushing to the top. I'm grateful for David's support of my goal this summer and love him very much.
July 11 (TCH-9)
We saw mountain goats for the first time! There is something that is really empowering about waking up early in the morning and being so immersed in nature. Having this cave trail so close to my house really is such an amazing thing.
July 20 (TCH-10)
David is out of town this week so we had a little tag-a-long join us this morning. I carried Lucy up the mountain on my back (and asked Lydia to help the boys when they woke up). I shouldn't have been surprised, but it was funny how many comments I got about Lucy! The demographics of the early morning hikers are much older than my typical hikes and they were delighted to have Lucy joining us on the trail.
July 25 (TCH-11)
Grateful to be strengthening my body and my friendship with Dani.
August 6 (TCH-12)
We couldn't connect our schedules again, so we scheduled in a little family hike for the trail this week. It was fun to share this goal of mine with my family. We all walked together until about the 1/4 mark on the trail, then Austin decided that he really really wanted to reach the top. So David stayed back with the others and Austin and I powered our way to the top! I kept saying things like "If you want to turn around, we can" but he was determined and I enjoyed hiking with him. I love this family of mine.
I hike this morning with a different friend, Dani Steadman. She organized a bunch of hikes for a homeschool group that I am a part of but I wasn't able to make any of them so I invited her to come with me this morning. Another beautiful morning.
August 17 (TCH-14)
We did it!! Our LAST week of the summer. I am so proud of us for making and accomplishing this goal. I loved spending one morning each week rising with the sun and spending two hours in the mountains. I love the friendship that has been build with Dani and love the way I have strengthened my body. Bodies are amazing and as Dani and I watched the others hiking this trail, many of them in their 60s and 70s (some much older than that!), it made me want to take care of my body so that I can continue hiking throughout the rest of my life.


This was such an important goal to me this summer - and... WE DID IT!

This was such an important goal to me this summer - and... WE DID IT!


No comments:
Post a Comment