If you're here, welcome! We blog for us as our journal, but we are glad to share out lives with you.

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Costumes: Narnia

This year, we have been reading The Chronicles of Narnia together. We started with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and have finished both Prince Capsian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. We are currently working on the Horse and His Boy. Lydia and Austin both went ahead of the rest of us to read/listen to the entire series. All the kids have really loved them, even Lucy. As I was reading, everytime I said, "and Lucy said," Lucy would pop up from wherever she was and say "That's Lucy like I'm Lucy!" They decided pretty early on in the year that they wanted to be the four Pevensie siblings. 

Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy.

They also wanted a wardrobe to put in our wagon and pull along with us as we went trick or treating. I got excited about the possibility of a wardrobe and we started making multiple trips to the DI each week looking for the perfect piece of furniture to put in front of our door. I had almost given up when this listing came onto KSL. The absolute most perfect wardrobe in the land. They listed it for $100. I awkwardly reached out to see if I could rent it from them because I didn't have $100 to spend on a wardrobe for Halloween for my kids and they said that we could have it for free! I was so excited. It ended up not fitting in my van (my poor van failed me!), but thankfully my dad was coming down with the trailer to bring Jacob's motorcycle to him and he was able to swing by on his way. Matt and Jacob met us there and helped load this heavy friend for us. I'm grateful that they made this crazy idea work. We picked up a handful of trees from KSL to put around the outside and the whole thing ended up looking really fun. We took off the back so that we could walk through it, and we handed out candy fron inside the wardrobe. It was fantastic. 

Welcome to Narnia. 



Each child got some special things to go with their cosutmes. Here are the details: 

Lydia as "Susan Pevensie: Queen Susan the Gentle"
I was the most excited about this costume and am so incredibly pleased with the way that it came together. We thought about dying Lydia's hair brown, but ultimately decided against it. Lydia was the perfect Susan, and I loved making this costume for her.  Susan detals: velvet hunting dress, leather belt, bow and arrow, and magic horn. 




Austin as "Peter Pevensie: High King Peter the Magnificent" 
Official title: "High King Peter the Magnificent, Emporer of the Lone Islands, Lord of Cair Paravel, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Lion" or "Sir Peter Wolf's Bane" 
Austin was so excited about this costume. It was simple, but perfect for him. His special details were a sword and scabbard, crown, and faux-fur vest.  



Caleb as "Edmund Pevensie: King Edmund the Just" 
Caleb wasn't 100% sure that he wanted to be Edmund. He thought that he might want to be a firefighter instead. I figured, he's 6 - if he wants to be a firefighter, I'm not going to make him be Edmund. But then he realized that he would get a sword and he was more interested. When I talked to him about getting him a box of Turkish Delight to carry around, he was SOLD. He helped me pick out a bunch of gummy candy and we made a "turkish delight" box together. He ended up really enjoying this costume and I'm glad that he did. Edmund details: turkish delight, and sword and scabbard. 





Lucy as "Lucy Pevensie: Queen Lucy the Valiant"
I had been really struggling with Lucy's costume, and almost gave up on it completely. But I woke up at 5 am Halloween morning and figured out how to sew the bodice and sleeves as a separate piece and the whole thing came together so beautifully. I love this costume so much! Lucy particularly loved her "cordial", the special healing drink that she received for Christmas. 







Here are a few progress pictures plus the inspiration for the girls dresses:

Susan: Man, those cutouts in the sleeves gave me trouble but I figured it out and I feel SO so happy about them. 


Lucy:
As I said above, the vest part was so tricky and I almost gave up. But I woke up early Halloween morning and inspiration struck. I was able to pull it all together and I'm so happy with the way it turned out. 

No comments: